Old vs Modern wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one thing I don't like over my old stove which was an EPA stove, just a first generation cat stove. It had a bigger firebox I never had the manual for it so I don't know how much bigger but I liked the size. I also liked being able to load it up in the morning and let it smolder all day long and if it got hot in here I could close the dampers and it would die out.

With that said I am very happy with the new stove. My old stove I could fit 8 splits the Osburn I can fit 6. My old stove I would wake up in the morning and have a big bed of coals and a 65degree house. With the Osburn I have very few coals but enough to start a new fire and a 68degree house. I have been burning it all night for a week now and I don't get smoke pouring in the house every time I open the door so I would say the chimney is much cleaner than with the old stove. It would reduce an 8" chimney down to 4" in two weeks. With the new stove I am not always sweating when I have a hot fire burning hoping I don't have a chimney fire.

I am really impressed with how little smoke this stove puts out. My old stove I would load it up pine in the morning and I could see the cloud of black smoke blowing in the wind for at least 1000' down the road. The new stove I only see about 5' of black smoke coming form the chimney then it fades away. The old stove it really looked like somebody was burning tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.