old wood burners i have a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, even as far outside New England as PA. On craigslist, there is often free pine available from folks who advertise it as "suitable for outdoor fires only". It's a great way to score some free pine that's just fine in the woodstove. As some other posters have noted, pine is fine. A few years ago, I dropped two white pines that were too close to the house, and they were great. Only downside is sticky tools after splitting it green. Burns nicely if it's dried enough, just like any other wood. Has less BTU/ft3, so you can't get super long burns out of it, but it's great for shoulder season or in a mix with hardwoods in winter when you're not going for the sleep-late-on-Sunday overnight burns. Dries somewhat faster than denser wood, all other factors being equal, but drying conditions are a bigger factor than wood type. No problem with extra creosote. No problem with overfire, even with a full load, as long as you have a stove/chimney combo that can keep things under control.

I burn pine just fine. But I am not qualified to answer this question in this post. I'm not an old turd yet. ;)

Hogwildz said:
I burn pine just fine. But I am not qualified to answer this question in this post. I'm not an old turd yet. ;)

Yeah ya are. Ya just don't realize it.

What is that stuff about you are only as old as you feel? By that measure I am 106.

Being old has nothing to do with the topic well seasoned woodburners. I am "old" 55 but don't feel it. But Hearth.com is kiln drying me into a more profficient burner!!!!!!!:;)

ddown said:
Being old has nothing to do with the topic well seasoned woodburners. I am "old" 55 but don't feel it. But Hearth.com is kiln drying me into a more profficient burner!!!!!!!:;)
Absolutely. Because of hearth.com, my heat lasts longer into the night despite my age, and I've learned not to squander any good wood even if I wasn't planning on getting it at the time. I run the stove better, too!

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Yeah ya are. Ya just don't realize it.

What is that stuff about you are only as old as you feel? By that measure I am 106.

True is that.
Sad part is, on the outside I am aging very well. On the inside I look like you ;)

Hogwildz said:
You are just a turd then? :p

Previously I've burned pine from dead trees, but I just scored a cord or so from a tree 3 houses down. (Working on making friends with the neighborhood arborist). I'm interested to see how it seasons when cut from a live tree in spring. The rounds are mighty heavy, and when I attempted to split the largest one, my wedge just sunk in and water poured out. A lot like cottonwood.
I also get nice dry pine from the other side of the mountains, (the dry half of the state), which is easy to handle. No issues with a stove full. In this climate, a lower btu wood that lights easily is perfect the majority of the time. Seldom truly need a stove full of oak.

i do have to say that it splits way easier drier than green. yesterday while splitting i had a round with alot of knots, and when the splitter put pressure on it, it started to fold up like a sponge as all of it's liquid got squeezed out of it.
reading everything here the title should be changed to "pine is fine"
ok where are the song writers

For heat: Burn any dry wood fuel in the woodstove, excepting any lumber PT (pressure treated) or nasty coated lead-painted boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.