Old wood master

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oldhobbyfarm

Dec 21, 2021
MI
I moved into a house that was using a wood boiler but it was sold, however there is another one set off to the side that I have no idea of the condition. How wood I go about checking for leaks before I place it on the pad and connect it? It says Woodmaster plus on the side.

I'm saying that in that situation, it is where it is for a reason...very likely leaking, or really crappy working model...maybe both?

Reactions: salecker
Ah brenndatomu---you have lost your "faith" in old things--ah--lol...That story does not sound good for me either but I wonder how he could check it out just in case it might have something "little" wrong with it to where he can fix it...clancey

you have lost your "faith" in old things
Nah, not at all...I just know how expensive OWB's are...if someone abandoned it, its highly likely not worth foolin with...

Reactions: clancey
I moved into a house that was using a wood boiler but it was sold, however there is another one set off to the side that I have no idea of the condition. How wood I go about checking for leaks before I place it on the pad and connect it? It says Woodmaster plus on the side.
I would fill it with water then pressure test it,if i was curious.
When i built my system i tested all components to 80PSI.Fill with water add air fitting and pressurize.I left pressure in overnight usually.

Reactions: peakbagger
I agree, fill it with water and then pressurize it. Put a gauge with an isolation valve on the supply. bring it up to at least 30 PSI, close the isolation valve and let it sit for an hour. If the gauge is holding pressure at the end of the test then it may be worth using it.

Fill it with water and look for leaks. Is it inside or outside? Most all OWBs were open and unpressurized so not sure I would pressure it up any. But like said above, smart money is on it being scrap.

I ran a Wood Master boiler for 15 years full time. Then the last two years only during winter.
Our stove was in a building so it pretty much stayed dry.
A friend had the same stove outside and the chimney connection to the boiler rotted out front getting wet.
I liked the wood boiler but sold it and bought a new wood stove.
Went form 10-12 cords of wood to 2.5-3 cords of wood and 180 gallons of oil.