Old wood stove flue in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DesmondLara

Nov 9, 2017
seattle
Hi , I have an 80 year old home with a masonry fireplace. the masonry extends to the basement as well and has an 8 inch hole which to me looks like a hole for a wood stove it. I stuffed a piece of newspaper in it and lit it to see if the smoke would go up and not into my basement, it did go up! While the newspaper was lit I looked inside the best I could and looks like it has never been used. I want to hook up and old wood stove to it.What are my concerns and can I have fires in both the stove and in the main fireplace on main floor?

Hi , I have an 80 year old home with a masonry fireplace. the masonry extends to the basement as well and has an 8 inch hole which to me looks like a hole for a wood stove it. I stuffed a piece of newspaper in it and lit it to see if the smoke would go up and not into my basement, it did go up! While the newspaper was lit I looked inside the best I could and looks like it has never been used. I want to hook up and old wood stove to it.What are my concerns and can I have fires in both the stove and in the main fireplace on main floor?
Have it inspected by a pro. Chances are if it is 80 years old even unused it will need work