Older person/ 2 cycle engine starting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Here's a question hoping that people may have some suggestions:

My Dad is 82 years old, and has stayed active and in shape (he didn't buy a splitter until age 75- used to do it all with a maul).

However, after a surprise with a perforated ulcer, and a resulting ER/ intensive care stay last February, his stamina is unavoidably a bit less.

He's finding difficulty starting his Husqvarna 346; he can pull it over OK, but not quite at a speed sufficient to get it to fire. This is surprising given that it has a decompression valve and a primer bulb.

This saw is only about a year old and has a fresh spark plug. Fuel is also good- recently purchased aviation gasoline (to avoid ethanol).

Any suggestions for tips and tricks he might try-- or for make/ models of super-easy-to-start saws?

He's got the same issue with a Husqvarna 2-cycle weed trimmer/ brush cutter.

Thanks

Stihl and Dolmar each have a couple models that have an Easy start system that uses a counter balance spring in their pull start. When the rope is pulled slowly it loads a spring and at the end of the pull the spring is released to start the engine.

Ken said:
Have you talked with him about using an electric saw? I used a stihl electric and was well surprised with the performance of it. Food for thought, Ken

Thanks for the suggestion, but the cutting is way beyond the reach of an extension cord.

triptester said:
Stihl and Dolmar each have a couple models that have an Easy start system that uses a counter balance spring in their pull start. When the rope is pulled slowly it loads a spring and at the end of the pull the spring is released to start the engine.

Thanks- that's interesting to know about.

The Stihl easy start saws only come in the smaller models but they are really nice.

Have you tried starter fluid? If you do, use it very lightly; just a touch, not a whole spray.

Backwoods Savage said:
The Stihl easy start saws only come in the smaller models but they are really nice.

At 82 I think maybe a little smaller saw might be in order anyway. I'm not quite 50 yet (next month) and prefer a smaller saw. JMHO

I hear ya. My wife is still trying to talk me into a smaller saw, at least for the trimming duties.

Pybyr, I just got a Dolmar 420 and I really love it. It has plenty of torque and is not that far behind a 346 in power in most folks opinion, about equal to the old 346 (if that's what he has). It can be had for $300. It will handle an 18" bar with ease and it has all the quality of build you'd expect in a big pro saw. It way better built than those Easy Start Stihl homeowner units. Reason why I'm mentioning it is because it's the easiest starting saw I ever tried. Check this YouTube vid out:

Status
Not open for further replies.