On the advice of Curious George... registers built in closet chase.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
I installed 2 registers in the chase which I put in the closet of my upstairs level. The registers are to obtain some of the usable heat that the chimney pipe puts out and was staying in the chase. I placed one low intially to see if it would let out heat. The result... no heat. I added the second one yesterday and immediately, heat began pouring out of the upper hole that was cut. I have both registers in and it sets up a nice convection cycle. You can feel the draw from the bottom register and the heat out of the top. Pretty cool.

Thanks, Curious G!

-Ray

Attachments

• chase registers.jpg
    chase registers.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 520
Thats the way to do it. Nice job.

Shawn

This is similar to what I have done with the chase in my bedroom, but I just have the one located at the top.
I was thinking of adding one on the bottom also to help convection, but the top one seems to put out allot of heat as it is.

Sounds like a great idea!

Guess I know what I am doing this weekend....great idea.

Doesn't this go against the thought that you want the flue to stay as hot as possible (within safe limits) to keep the flue gasses from cooling before they exit?

Just wondering, as I am not experienced enough to know...

Rob

48rob said:
Doesn't this go against the thought that you want the flue to stay as hot as possible (within safe limits) to keep the flue gasses from cooling before they exit?

Just wondering, as I am not experienced enough to know...

Rob

+1 My question, too...

Nancy

Good question, but I don't think that this will be an issue as this is a chimney already running inside the house and is not subject to outside temperatures. The pipe/chimney runs up the middle of my home from the finished basement, through an upstairs closet, through the attic and out the roof. I couldn't see this as being a problem thus the additional heat source. I suppose time will tell, but I have doubts about it effecting anything other than the temp in my son's room.

My son gave me some feedback tonight, and thinks that the overnight room temp was warmer than the when using the diesel furnace (leaving the furnace thermostat at 55-60 probably has something to do with that). That makes me smile, though. Thanks again, C.G.

iceisasolid said:
Good question, but I don't think that this will be an issue as this is a chimney already running inside the house and is not subject to outside temperatures. The pipe/chimney runs up the middle of my home from the finished basement, through an upstairs closet, through the attic and out the roof. I couldn't see this as being a problem thus the additional heat source. I suppose time will tell, but I have doubts about it effecting anything other than the temp in my son's room.

My son gave me some feedback tonight, and thinks that it was warmer than the heat output from the register for the diesel furnace. That makes me smile. Thanks again, C.G.

+1

With the inside chase, the flue is heating up that space already. The OP is just tapping into that heat, the effect on the flue will be nominal if at all.

shawneyboy said:
With the inside chase, the flue is heating up that space already. The OP is just tapping into that heat, the effect on the flue will be nominal if at all.

Bingo. It's just that instead of that chase being a few cubic feet of say...130F air, it will disperse that into the 144cubic feet (if a 12x12 room) and raise the ambient temp a couple degrees.

Is George still on sabbatical?

I know different places have different rules but does this violate any building codes that anyone knows of?

Bocefus78 said:
I know different places have different rules but does this violate any building codes that anyone knows of?

I would highly doubt it.
Mine has been like this for the past 3 years and even the Insurance adjuster for AmFam didn't have an issue with it. As for cooling the flue, I just had to replace a section due to me overheating the Class A while trying to get the stovetop up to 500 with less then perfect wood. Also since it is still within the house any cooling will be very small if any. I am only using the heat that is getting stored within the enclosure, thinking about it, it is probably a good idea to remove some of that heat since it is being trapped in an enclosure and could eventually lead to drying out the wood inside it lowering its combustion temps.

Actually I know some people who don't even seal their flue up inside an enclosure, the only reason why I did was due to me having young kids around and I didn't want them to get burnt.

Is the space inside sealed from airleakage? If it runs through the center of the house it could pull air with. If it's sealed then I wouldn't see it as a problem.

Good idea Ray. I've been trying to think of a way to tap into that heat.
How musc heat do you think you get from it?

brogsie said:
Good idea Ray. I've been trying to think of a way to tap into that heat.
How musc heat do you think you get from it?

I have not measured the temp in my son's room, but I know that it is warmer than my other kid's room, by probably about 5 degrees when I have checked on him at 11 PM. I am not burning 7/24 anymore, or I think it might be more. My other's room is about 60 at the same time. The stove burns through the night so it is getting continuous heat. It took me about about $20 and 1 hour of time to do the job and the heat so fas seems to make a difference to my son- although I don't run the furnace at night, so any heat is a difference. I am going to place one more register in the living room off the same chase so that I can direct some of the heat into the living area when I want to close off my son's room. If I did it again, I would place larger registers.

-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.