On the market for a new woodstove (first time wood burner)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad101

Hearth Supporter
Sep 9, 2009
Erie, MI
My old thread transitioned from getting a fireplace insert into demolishing the fireplace and installing a wood stove. I would like to create a new thread with a title that is not misleading.

Here is the old thread link: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41219/

As you most you know; I’m in the market for a new wood stove. I really like the look of soapstone. Attached is a photo with the hearth dimensions.

I plan on burning hardwood (oak, ash, hickory etc) and fruit wood (apple and cherry – I have some apple trees that have not produced fruit in many years).

I have a single story, ranch style house, approximately 1600 sqft (1580 to be exact).

I want a stove that will last me 20 years with proper maintenance. I’m willing to spend the money on something nice. I’m open to all suggestions.

Attachments

• 105_1985.jpg
    105_1985.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 892
Another view; showing the hole where the fireplace insert was.

Attachments

• 105_1984.jpg
    105_1984.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 867
I'm going to assume that a much larger hearth is going in to replace the raised tiled area on the floor for the old prefab unit. Seems like the main thing to keep in mind are clearances and flue location. The new stove hearth is most likely going to project more into the room. Are you completely replacing the old prefab pipe?

How large a room is this in? Is the room wide open to other areas of the house? How big is the house?

BG, he's got alot of info and more pics in the insert thread.

I'm a Jotul guy myself.... If you went the F 400 Castine, the minimum clearance from the back of the stove to an unprotected wall is 7", the stove is 21" deep, and the hearth must extend 16" from the front of the stove. So you would need to have the hearth extend 44" from the face of the sheetrock behind the stove. You would also need to provide 15" clearance between the stove-side and the side-wall and extend the hearth 8" out from the right side of the stove (the stove is 25 34" wide). So your hearth would be 44"D x 48 3/4"W. If you use the bottom heat shield then the hearth only needs to be non-combustible (no R value requirements).

The next size down would be the F 3 CB which would require a hearth size of 39"D x 48 3/4"W.

How big can your hearth be? That will limit your stove selection....... unless a corner mount set-up would be better.

Detector$ said:
I'm a Jotul guy myself.... If you went the F 400 Castine, the minimum clearance from the back of the stove to an unprotected wall is 7", the stove is 21" deep, and the hearth must extend 16" from the front of the stove. So you would need to have the hearth extend 44" from the face of the sheetrock behind the stove. You would also need to provide 15" clearance between the stove-side and the side-wall and extend the hearth 8" out from the right side of the stove (the stove is 25 34" wide). So your hearth would be 44"D x 48 3/4"W. If you use the bottom heat shield then the hearth only needs to be non-combustible (no R value requirements).

The next size down would be the F 3 CB which would require a hearth size of 39"D x 48 3/4"W.

How big can your hearth be? That will limit your stove selection....... unless a corner mount set-up would be better.

I have plenty of room to extend the hearth. The stove will heat my house based on the square footage. I would really prefer something in soapstone though. I'm looking for a price on the manufacture's website and I cannot find it. What did you pay for yours? http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-400-Castine/

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Thanks, that was more info than I wanted in the other thread. But on second dig I see I missed that it is about a 1500 sq ft ranch. Still wondering if the room will handle much more than a 2 cu ft stove. If cat stove is ok, a Woodstock should work. If not, maybe a Hearthstone Phoenix? Or a PE Alderlea T5 if close clearances help.

Chad, I think you need a house layout for a better idea of how to go.

Get out the pencil, paper, and measuring tape :)

BG, I am sure it was :p

BeGreen said:
I'm going to assume that a much larger hearth is going in to replace the raised tiled area on the floor for the old prefab unit. Seems like the main thing to keep in mind are clearances and flue location. The new stove hearth is most likely going to project more into the room. Are you completely replacing the old prefab pipe?

How large a room is this in? Is the room wide open to other areas of the house? How big is the house?

Thanks for the reply BG, I have more info posted on my old thread. I apologize for the confusion. I'm not a big fan of creating new threads since it can lead to this problem. But, the old thread was really off topic after I dismantled the fireplace.

My house is very open. The stove would be located in the dinning room (where the old fireplace insert was). The dinning room, kitchen and living room are all connected in one big open "L" shape. Everything is very open.

Dammit; I had a PDF copy of my home appraisal which had the floor layout. Now i can't find it lol! If i find it, I'll upload a screen shot.

fyi: I also plan on investing in some good ceiling fans to help distribute the heat, even though the house is an open floor plan.

Chad, I think you need a house layout for a better idea of how to go.

Get out the pencil, paper, and measuring tape :)

BG, I am sure it was :p

Will do, give me about 30min

I have an enamel Jotul F600 CB w/ ICC Excel and UltraBlack Class A and connector pipe. Those stoves are between 2800 and 3300 bucks. Our chimney and connector were about 1900 (really tall chimney). Have great things to say about both the stove and the pipe. I would only buy the ICC Excel & UltraBlack or Simpson DuraTech Pipe.
Your pics look like the hearth would stick out in the doorway. If so could you move your doorway?

Yep. The left wall is the reason I didn't include the Heritage (left door side feed), same deal nixed the Oslo which is the Jotul I would choose. But the other recommendations stand.

Ok - so you like soapstone eh? Well...

IF you were looking at the Fireview here is how I calculate out the minimum pad:

Depth is as follows (assuming you put the heat shield on it):
18" Min back clearance
20" Stove Depth
8" Front pad clearance
46" Minimum total depth - note this means you extend out additional 8" from your current pad

Width goes like this:

16" side clearance (8" is min but lets center it)
26" Stove Width
16" loading side clearance (this is the min)
58" Total width - Note this puts you about 1/2" less than your current width so I'd extend it another 2" to 60" and use 12" tiles to do the job.

Now - if you were to center the stove with this plan, you end up with the pipe (this is a rear exit stove) heading up the wall about 10" away from the wall and either 29" or 30" from the left hand wall. How does that line up with that hole in the ceiling?

Alternatively you put the stove in as a corner installation and run the pipe up the corner - I'd have to re-do the math for that of course, but the basics are there - 16" side clearance on side with the loading door (you would then almost certainly want the door to be on the left side instead of the default right side for easy loading and ash removal) and 8" of pad extending in front of the stove.

As to cost - current price according to the website (valid until the 15th) is $2319 plus shipping ($175 if my geography is right) before the 30% tax rebate.

I haven't had my stove long enough to totally advocate for it as the cats meow, but the 5 burns I have done have been simply amazing compared to my old stove.. then again I think I went from one of the least liked stoves on this forum to one of the best reviewed so that should not come as a surprise.

If you believe the sqft heating ability rating of stoves then you should be happy to know the Fireview is rated for 1600 sqft... although based on what folks have said about it I am thinking that is the minimum it will heat.

Floor layout attached.

Please note this is not to scale; I tried my best to make everything look reasonable. I included some stuff that was not necessary because the floor layout would not make sense without it (i.e. the closet & garage lol!!). If you need additional measurements I'll gladly provide them asap. Or if you have questions on the layout, let me know. I rounded everything up; I don't think inches would really matter for this.

Attachments

• floorlayout.jpg
    floorlayout.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 796
I am a soapstone junkie so appreciate your choice. I don't have the numbers in front of me so I may a bit off but the first stoves that come to mind are the Morso 3450 (imagine that), the Scan Anderson 10 with stone, Hearthstone Phoenix (might be a bit big) and the Woodstock Fireview. I am heating around 2300 feet on three floors and the 3450 couldn't quite cut it (kept the first 2 floors in the mid to high 60's but the top floor was in the low 60's) plus I really wanted longer burn times so just ordered a Fireview (which I think would be your best choice, also).

I hope that helps!

Since you are already going to all this work, any chance you could swing the stove around into the Living Room? I think you would get better heat distribution.

Honestly; I appreciate the responses. In-fact it's been overwhelming lol! I've been so busy for these last few hours and I'd like to respond to what everyone is saying on a personal level when i get time tomorrow. You guys are great and this is one of the best online communities I have experienced.

I like the idea of swinging the wood burner around to the living room area. It makes sense and it would help with the heat distribution. But, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm not afraid of hard work; I just don't want to add any additional work onto what I have done. Winter will be here before I know it. If i move the fireplace over to the living room, I'm doing additional work which = time. This also eats into expenses. If i spend $2,500/$3,000 on a stove; I'm taking one heck of a chuck out of my savings. I really need to watch what I do. BUT, this idea is something to consider down the road; I really like it.

I wanted to share these stoves with you before I go to bed. Tell me what you think.

I want to look over all your suggestions before i even consider one. You guys/gals will pick it (believe it or not). This will just give you an idea of what catches my eye.

Note: One of them is actually not a soapstone stove. But it looks really nice!

http://www.coal-woodburner.com/inde...ategory_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

http://www.coal-woodburner.com/inde...ategory_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

BeGreen said:

Thanks, that was more info than I wanted in the other thread. But on second dig I see I missed that it is about a 1500 sq ft ranch. Still wondering if the room will handle much more than a 2 cu ft stove. If cat stove is ok, a Woodstock should work. If not, maybe a Hearthstone Phoenix? Or a PE Alderlea T5 if close clearances help.

Why's it gotta be a T5? Why not a Spectrum Classic with polished nickel trim? Hmm?

Chad, I think you are taking the "Go big or go Home" a little too seriously. :) I think you are going to find both of those stoves a bit much for your house size.

Bigg_Redd said:
BeGreen said:

Why's it gotta be a T5? Why not a Spectrum Classic with polished nickel trim? Hmm?

Both would work. With the cast iron jacket, the Alderlea has a more traditional look and burns a bit more like a soapstone. They are a bit slower to heat up and slower to cool down. It's a somewhat softer heat. But at heart, they are the same stove. I like the black Classic in brushed nickel. Sharp looking stove and a great performer.

Time to remove the old hearth. I still haven't picked a stove out yet. The dealer is pushing the heritage.

But, that wall is looking really ugly. Should I use sheet rock or cement board?

I'm pulling out the hearth before I do anything to the wall.

The Heritage is a nice stove, but a left-hand door loader. I'd stick with a right or front side loader.

chad101 said:
Just got back from the wood stove dealer. What do you think of the Hearthstone Heritage?

You won't be able to use the left loading door. Have you looked at Woodstock yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.