On the market for a new woodstove (first time wood burner)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also something that you need to learn about - Cat vs Non-Cat stoves. Lots of threads here about them.

Some differences between the two, mind you my bias is toward a cat stove...

Benefits of Cat stoves:
- Longer burn times
- Ability to 'dial down' the burn to a lower level and still get clean, efficient burns

Benefits of non-Cat stoves:
- Relatively simpler operation (one less lever to pull)
- One less part to maintain (the cat)

Now with this said, obviously not all stoves of either type are equal. Folks will argue about the efficiency of each and the beauty of the fires, each is unique of course.

Given that it sounds like you are moving toward the Hearthstone - which is a non-cat soapstone. The Fireview is a Cat soapstone. Both are great stoves of course and have differences. Given that you plan to burn 24/7 the longer burn times I would think would help you quite a bit.

Give the folks at Woodstock a call and discuss their options for you and the benefits - they know their stuff. You've already talked to the dealer locally, the call won't cost you anything but a bit of time and you may well be surprised at how good they are at answering whatever questions you may have.

I like the stoves listed on woodstock. I'm just concerned about shipping. Has anyone purchased a stove from woodstock? How was the shipping process?

I removed the hearth and I'm laying 3/4 plywood to make the hearth area flush with the hardwood. I have 3 sheets of 1/4" 4'x8' drywall. will this work? Or should i sue cement board?

The dealer in my area sells hearth pads; A corner piece would run me about $300.

Slow1 said:
Also something that you need to learn about - Cat vs Non-Cat stoves. Lots of threads here about them.

Some differences between the two, mind you my bias is toward a cat stove...

Benefits of Cat stoves:
- Longer burn times
- Ability to 'dial down' the burn to a lower level and still get clean, efficient burns

Benefits of non-Cat stoves:
- Relatively simpler operation (one less lever to pull)
- One less part to maintain (the cat)

Now with this said, obviously not all stoves of either type are equal. Folks will argue about the efficiency of each and the beauty of the fires, each is unique of course.

Given that it sounds like you are moving toward the Hearthstone - which is a non-cat soapstone. The Fireview is a Cat soapstone. Both are great stoves of course and have differences. Given that you plan to burn 24/7 the longer burn times I would think would help you quite a bit.

Give the folks at Woodstock a call and discuss their options for you and the benefits - they know their stuff. You've already talked to the dealer locally, the call won't cost you anything but a bit of time and you may well be surprised at how good they are at answering whatever questions you may have.

I'll give it a shot, just worried about shipping. Maybe they can explain the shipping process a little better.

you'll want to consider the hearth size are R-value requirements for any stove you want. I was going with the F 600 Jotul or the Hearthstone Equinox. The Equinox required a substantial r-value. My hearth (over 3/4" oak hardwood floors) consists of 2x4's laid on their side for framing, plywood on top of that, three 1/2" sheets of durock cement board on top of that, then brick and mortar over that. The elevation/size is perfect and I could use either stove. Do NOT put sheetrock down under the stove. However, sheetrock behind the stove is fine. If you're thiking cast iron really look at Jotul or Morso. I can't imagine why anyone would look at the cast-iron Hearthstone.... Soapstone is their gig. If the woodstock would have heated my large open house I would have the soapstone woodstock fireview...period. Jotul was my choice after looking at everyone else. Morso doesn't make an enamel covered stove, and last winter there were a few threads with perceived issues with the Hearthstone stoves.

Chad, you need to select your stove before installing your hearth area. You don't know how much clearance you have. Then you have to think about your chimney.

I'd really give some thought to the living room install. Just flip it to the other side of the wall. Easy access to the chimney area and that hole in your roof :), more heat flow. You have to build a hearth anyway, and you have to rerock the old insert wall, and you stll have to cover the floor where the insert was. Just some thoughts. Maybe a built in corner hutch where the FP was, make the Mrs happy ;-)

Just my 2 cents !!!

Best advice I can give at this point is to slow down. It looks like you have already put a heap of work into something that just got torn out. That can be more expensive than buying a stove at peak season. Take a day or two to pause and think about exactly what would make you and your wife happiest. Where do you spend the most time? Where will it be easiest to store wood for the fire? There are lots of good stoves on the market, so it also might help to take a day or two to discover the other dealers in the area and to contact Woodstock. From reports coming into the forum, their track record for customer service is pretty good.

I'm considering the living room idea. I just finished hanging new drywall (walls only).

Another problem is my propane furnace thermostat is on the other side of this wall; I'd have to move this (not a major issue - just worth mentioning though). I have a 3/4" drop where the old hearth was. I planned on cutting a 3/4" piece of plywood to fill this in tomorrow. Other than that. I haven't touched or started to rebuild the hearth yet. I'm seriously considering everyone's input before I do anything.

Regarding shipping from Woodstock - I had mine shipped by them. I had it shipped to my work loading dock and then picked it up from there (back of my F150). Rest was only a pain because I had a flight of stairs to get it up - 3 helpers and a heavy duty dolly made that a lot easier than I had expected. Getting it off the truck was as easy as the doc from Woodstock said - a pair of 2x6's to slide it down and we had it off (I did have two guys helping to steady it as I am rather paranoid about such things). They will ship to any place that has a loading doc - they say they will work with you to find an acceptable location although I didn't have to test this. Don't let the shipping issue scare you off.

Hearth pad requirements for the Fireview are basically ember protection - they have the full instructions online for building the pad. Basic minimum is 3/4" ply, 1/2" rock, then your decorative tile. IF you choose not to set the final decorative layer with mortar then you have to stick a layer of sheet metal in there. Many folks (like myself) prefer to raise the hearth a bit so we put it on a frame of 2x4's (or 2x6's if you want it even taller) to raise it up.

I too would seriously consider putting the new stove on the other side of that wall from where the fireplace used to be. Larger room, better air flow etc. Unless of course you happen to spend most of your time in that dining room... then perhaps keep it there, but once you have a stove in the other room I bet it will become more attractive to spend time in during the winter at least.

I put together some side by side specs based on what I could find online on each manufacture’s website.

When the burn times go beyond 6-8hrs; I’m not too concerned. As long as I’m not walking through a foot of snow every few hours with an armful of wood, I don’t care.

I have a pole barn w/ a large lean to; built on a concrete slab. It’s the perfect place to keep green wood for drying and store already seasoned wood. But, it’s approximately 200 feet from the house. I want to limit my trips with armfuls of wood as much as possible. A few hours will not make a difference. Plus I’ll store some wood inside the attached garage.

I’m still open for ideas. But, my wife wants the soapstone.

Anyways here are some specs I put together. I could not find everything (i.e. the “???”). I’m going to do some searches on this forum and Google for customers who own one of these two stoves.

If you have a soapstone stove for me to consider please let me know.
Code:
Specs                Fireview             Heritage           Winner
Price:               $2,319.00 (+shping)  2,200.00 (dealer)  Heritage
Weight:              475                  475                N/A
Burn Time:           10-12hrs             8hrs               Fireview
Emission Rating:     1.3 gms/hr           2.77 gms/hr        Fireview
Area Heated:         900-1,600 sqft       up to 1,900 sqft   Heritage
Catalytic:           Yes                  No                 Fireview
Wood Loading:        Side                 Front/Side         Heritage
Efficiency:          72%                  81%                Heritage
Size:                55,000 BTUs          55,000 BTUs        N/A
Firebox Capacity:    ???                  2.3 cubic feet     ???
Blower Kit:          ???                  Yes                ???
Clearance side:      18 inches            17 inches          Heritage
Clearance Rear:      30 inches            16 inches          Heritage

NOTE: Clearence based on no heat sheild.

Fireview 3
Heritage 6

chad101 said:
I put together some side by side specs based on what I could find online on each manufacture’s website.

When the burn times go beyond 6-8hrs; I’m not too concerned. As long as I’m not walking through a foot of snow every few hours with an armful of wood, I don’t care.

I have a pole barn w/ a large lean to; built on a concrete slab. It’s the perfect place to keep green wood for drying and store already seasoned wood. But, it’s approximately 200 feet from the house. I want to limit my trips with armfuls of wood as much as possible. A few hours will not make a difference. Plus I’ll store some wood inside the attached garage.

I’m still open for ideas. But, my wife wants the soapstone.

Anyways here are some specs I put together. I could not find everything (i.e. the “???”). I’m going to do some searches on this forum and Google for customers who own one of these two stoves.

If you have a soapstone stove for me to consider please let me know.
Code:
Specs                Fireview             Heritage           Winner
Price:               $2,319.00 (+shping)  2,200.00 (dealer)  Heritage
Weight:              475                  475                N/A
Burn Time:           10-12hrs             8hrs               Fireview
Emission Rating:     1.3 gms/hr           2.77 gms/hr        Fireview
Area Heated:         900-1,600 sqft       up to 1,900 sqft   Heritage
Catalytic:           Yes                  No                 Fireview
Wood Loading:        Side                 Front/Side         Heritage
Efficiency:          72%                  81%                Heritage
Size:                55,000 BTUs          55,000 BTUs        N/A
Firebox Capacity:    ???                  2.3 cubic feet     ???
Blower Kit:          ???                  Yes                ???
Clearance side:      18 inches            17 inches          Heritage
Clearance Rear:      30 inches            16 inches          Heritage

NOTE: Clearence based on no heat sheild.

Fireview 3
Heritage 6

I like the table idea. I do want to point out a few things to think about though -

1) Area heated - Question how this number is generated. Using just the data in your table, how is it that two heaters with the same BTU (Size on your table) of 55,000 would heat the same area? hmmm...

2) Efficiency - That 72% you list is not accurate I'm quite certain. Many manufactures listed the "default EPA" number on literature for quite some time. Now we have a new game in town with the tax credit numbers. I get the feeling that there are a lot of ways to play the "efficiency number" game. Bottom line - I'd be willing to bet that in an apples to apples comparison of real-world, long term burning patterns both stoves will have very close to the same efficiencies if burned in the ideal way for FOR THEIR design. Meaning that the Heritage would be burned with nice hot fires and then coast down and the Fireview could use the longer burns with the CAT and both would have close to same efficiency.

3) Firebox capacity - I don't know the actual number of the Fireview either, but I'll bet it is about the same. However, the issue with firebox size a matter of how much wood can you load up to get a good burn time and/or heat out of the stove. I think you have answered this already as you know you get enough burn time from the Fireview and I'm confident you will get enough heat.

4) Blower kit - no comment as I just don't know if it is needed for your install. I never had one in my house and although I wondered if it would help, I have heated my house well without one. Critical for inserts, not critical for free standing

5) Clearance - There is nothing wrong with heat shields so I would compare with heat shields if the clearances are an issue at all. I would look at clearances as a binary "either they are good enough for my home or not" to some degree. Lay out your install with paper/boxes/whatever and see how it will 'fit' in your room. Also - I noticed you use 18" as the side clearance for the Fireview - did you find that number somewhere or is that from what I used for the pad? I couldn't find this number anywhere when I was looking the other day.

6) I see you don't list the hearth pad dimensions - front loading requires more hearth pad in front of the heratage.

7) Not listed - Overall user experience and reputation from other users etc. Go read up on the reviews section here and see how these stoves burn for others and imagine yourself with them. In the long run this will make or break it for you. Another interesting thing to consider - the Fireview can handle a higher maximum surface temp which I like since it gives a bit of a buffer against accidental overfire, although from what I understand the stove is easy enough to control that I should never have to worry about that.

At any rate - both are top of the line stoves. I just would hate for someone to make a decision based on specs that either don't really matter (heating area being one of those) or that don't make a difference in the long run (such as clearances).

I really think the true difference between these stove that WILL make a difference for you is that Cat vs Non-Cat burn style. This difference between these two stoves should be weighed far more heavily in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

see if you can find videos of each stove burning on you tube.... They will burn differently.
I don't have a dog in the fight since I don't own soapstone.... Hearth dimensions are a big deal.. you spend lots of $$$ per sq. ft. for your house. Don't give up any more than you have to.... I'd also consider the glass/viewing area.

Also agree with BG... unless you're going to move your stove to the other room. You don't want a left side loader.
The Heritage also has a ash-pan... That could be good or bad.... One more gasket to worry about, but may make cleaning easier.

I've done a lot of research on this topic and from everything I've read, Woodstock is very conservative in their figures so you can take that into account. The firebox is a little over 2 cf (don't remember the exact number but it is in another thread). I don't think I've seen anything from someone unhappy with their Fireview and I think the fact they back it up with a 6 month return policy says a lot about their confidence in their stove.

I'm calling woodstock today (not sure they are open on Sundays). Anyways I'll keep you updated on what they say. I haven't checked their customer service hours yet (will after writing this). If they're not open. I'll call first thing Monday.

I like the youtube idea; I'll check that out today to.

chad101 said:
I'm calling woodstock today (not sure they are open on Sundays). Anyways I'll keep you updated on what they say. I haven't checked their customer service hours yet (will after writing this). If they're not open. I'll call first thing Monday.

I like the youtube idea; I'll check that out today to.

So... any update?

I also would move the stove to the other side of the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.