once the season "ends" what do you do to the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
ok my 2nd stove is on its way (monday del) for the basement yay

what do i do with my quadra fire once i shut her down other then clean the chimmey and the unit??

do i take the bricks out and look around or call it a day

thanks

Mroverkill said:
ok my 2nd stove is on its way (monday del) for the basement yay

what do i do with my quadra fire once i shut her down other then clean the chimmey and the unit??

do i take the bricks out and look around or call it a day

thanks
Do your annual clean up and check up, if their is a problem you have time to get the parts.

Clean, inspect/repair (if necessary), put kitty litter in the ash pan and ignore the darned thing 'til I need it in the fall.

Kitty litter????? If no ash pan would you put litter in the firebox and why? New one for me, I'd like to hear more on this.....thanks

I stop building fires in it :)

This year I'm going to pull it out and strip it completely of all removable parts, replace as needed and repaint...I know I need baffle supports and and by passs gaskets and at least a couple fire bricks...

CodyWayne718 said:
Kitty litter????? If no ash pan would you put litter in the firebox and why? New one for me, I'd like to hear more on this.....thanks

Soaks up humidity inside the stove over the soggy summer months. If no ash pan I would put a bowl filled with kitty litter in the stove. I read this somewhere and to date I've had no rusty parts inside either of the two stoves. Cheap insurance I guess. :)

I put a box of baking soda in the stove. Occasionally I'll get a down draft in the summer and can smell "chimney." It may just be the placebo affect, but my wife and I both swear we don't smell it so long as there is a box of soda in the stove (the same stuff I'd use in the fridge.

pen

Get it ready for next year's season. Sweep the chimney, vacuum out every bit of ash, clean the glass. Look for any damage. If you do this right, all you will need to do next season is light it.

A well burned stove is already kinda brown and rusty inside. I see no issue with rust so long as you don't have water leaking into your flue.

I must be a little backward here.

I paint the top from cooking wear on the one in the middle of the kitchen. Brush the chimney, grease the hinge pins.
Then I call it my Amish air conditioner.
We close the house up tight in the morning, and it gradually heats all day to open windows again at night. We have no A/C, but live in the woods where it's cool every night. So if it's really warm in the house after the day cools down, I'll burn some paper and cardboard with the screen in. Leaving the screen in, and doors open all night. Warming the chimney once or twice drafts for a long time, pulling cool night air in from the other end of the house. The little heat the stove creates is far offset by the air it pulls in.

Pen, you must smell chimney. A stove disconnected from the chimney smells good!
I had a Baby Bear for a night stand, but it was too low. (I was afraid of rolling out of bed and splitting my head open on it, so I kept a pillow on it overnight. My wife says I'd rather sleep with it, but I say it's just a night stand. I have issues) So now I use a Pedestal Honey Bear. I remove the fire brick, scrape them clean inside and vacuum them out. When the sun hits them, the aroma out the top flue hole is quite good. Cross between hot metal, smoked meat, and a locomotive shop. I have a white cat that I notice has been looking gray on his face since I brought the Honey Bear in, so I think he likes it too.

I do a final, thorough cleaning . . . after I am sure that there will be no more fires.

The one and only time I use the shop vac (with a dry wall filter) to clean up the firebox and inside of the ash pan box is this time of year . . . of course this is after I've cleaned out the firebox since I don't want to use the shop vac any more than I need to. Ash pan is also emptied.

Glass is cleaned and I take the opportunity to take off the Oslo doghouse and graphite the air lever.

I also clean out the stove pipe and chimney and take the oval center plate out to clean the fly ash that has accumulated above the baffle.

I do a nice dusting of the stove . . . and give it a visual check for any problems . . . and do the dollar bill seal check.

Last few steps are to put a box of baking soda in the firebox . . . although I sometimes also add a candle which may get some use . . . and then put a fresh layer of sealant on my slate hearth.

GunSeth said:
I store my kid's stuffed animals in there.

Yea, the cat gets lonely in there in the summer. :red:

Once we've had the absolute last fire, I'll sweep the flue and cap, clean the ashes off the top of the steel baffle plate, clean out ashes with the shovel and vacuum out the rest.
After that, I plan to pull all the firebrick and check the welds on the new back plate. Once I'm satisfied that all's well, it'll go back together, and be left alone until late fall when the first fire is made.
I need to pull the stove pipe and clean the blower again (better this time), and lube the motor too.

After a proper cleaning... I put a candle in mine so I get that warm glow through the summer nights.

CodyWayne718 said:

Found that recommendation btw. it's in my Dutchwest owners manual.

Along about May I decide to clean out the stoves and sweep the chimneys. Then I mess around and don't get to it until mid September.

BrotherBart said:
Along about May I decide to clean out the stoves and sweep the chimneys. Then I mess around and don't get to it until mid September.

Me too. Except I usually don't get around to it until late October/early November. After 18 years, no problems with stove or chimney attributable to the late cleanup/prep for the next heating season.

BrotherBart said:

Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow eh?

north of 60 said:
I let my stove cool down on a Thursday in July and start it up on the Friday. ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
I let my stove cool down on a Thursday in July and start it up on the Friday. ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Somehow I just new this one would get your approval. :cheese:

clean it out, leave the bricks, then tuck it in for a long summer's nap....

I usually do nothing till fall. If I get lucky the birds will show up and do the flue cleaning for me. If they don't flue will clean much easier after a few months of drying. Ashes will stay till next fire.
My neighbor has his stove on casters. So when season is over he disconnects pipe and shoves in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.