One more outlet?? What to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I always sit on the left end of the couch that has an end table. It just seems like there is not enough outlets to plug something else in!!!

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Situation
Originally there were only 2 outlets.
So I installed a data center - See pic 1
Then I added a duplex to make a quad. See pic 2 --- I am trying to plug in my Laptop & Electric Space heater!!! So Frustrating!!

Plugged in right now is:
Data Center
SubWoofer Sound
Telephone plug
Internet 1 Giga Bit Lan for laptop date

Data AC outlets
SubWoofer AC
Table Lamp

Quad AC outlets
Couch Massage
Cell Phone Charger
Digital Picture Frame
Coffee Warmer Base

Attachments

• MediaCenter660sc.jpg
    MediaCenter660sc.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 357
  • MediaCenter650sc.jpg
    MediaCenter650sc.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 352
Power strip is the easiest. I have 2 power strips on the duplex outlet that supplies our entertainment and misc device center. Total wattage still is low. 12 devices are supplied and still a couple of extra outlets.

If you are going to plug an electric heater into a power strip make sure you buy a heavy duty one (not a bad idea anyway).

We mount power strips under our end tables and then plug in lamps, chargers etc.

Semipro said:
We mount power strips under our end tables and then plug in lamps, chargers etc.

I had a power strip on the floor and rug. My wife did not like it because it looked messy and was harder to vacuum around.

That is a very good idea! Do you have a picture of that??

have my router/fios modem, network storage device, and a few other digital things all stashed on a little platform in the basement ceiling. It keeps them out of the way and is a very convenient spot (that is where the fios comes into the house). I just mounted a power strip on a floor joist next to it all. It is very functional, keeps the cords out of the way, and looks pretty good.

I like the idea of putting it on the end table!

You've probably already considered this, but I'll ask anyway. Could you run another circuit (or pigtail off an existing one) into a new box, in the same general area (around the corner, etc.)? 2 separate groups of wires, might help in a couple of ways. This would be easy to do in my place, where there is an unfinished basement, but might be a real PITA in yours.

willworkforwood said:
You've probably already considered this, but I'll ask anyway. Could you run another circuit (or pigtail off an existing one) into a new box, in the same general area (around the corner, etc.)? 2 separate groups of wires, might help in a couple of ways. This would be easy to do in my place, where there is an unfinished basement, but might be a real PITA in yours.

Thanks for the suggestion. It would not be that hard to do. Just cut the wall with a wall board saw and run the wire to the other box. I have considered it. I will have to think more about it.

Thanks again.

I would definitely run another circuit for the space heater. The typical 1500w heater uses 12amps or so on high - if you run it with all that other stuff at the same time you will almost definitely trip a 15amp breaker - might even be marginal if its a 20.

Don2222 said:
Semipro said:

I had a power strip on the floor and rug. My wife did not like it because it looked messy and was harder to vacuum around.

That is a very good idea! Do you have a picture of that??

No photos but it was pretty simple. I think how you mount it would depend on how your table is built.

maverick06 said:
have my router/fios modem, network storage device, and a few other digital things all stashed on a little platform in the basement ceiling. It keeps them out of the way and is a very convenient spot (that is where the fios comes into the house). I just mounted a power strip on a floor joist next to it all. It is very functional, keeps the cords out of the way, and looks pretty good.

I like the idea of putting it on the end table!

We dedicated a small cabinet in our kitchen to this sort of equipment and it keeps all the wiring hidden and dust free. It contains:

Our VOIP phone converter (Obihai)
Wireless/wired router
DSL modem
power strip
NiMH battery charger
Phone and other accessory chargers
Our wireless house phone base station is also mounted to the outside of the cabinet.

Its a great place to raise bread too because of the heat generated by the devices. :)

I think a power strip would be the easiest/best solution.

Not to hijack the thread, but I noticed that you have an outlet on top of a baseboard heater. When I was finishing my basement (didn't know a damn thing about wiring or carpentry when I started and still don't know much now), my electrician told me "put the outlets almost anywhere: just not over a heater, it's against code". Pfffft.

Andrew

Swedishchef said:
I think a power strip would be the easiest/best solution.

Not to hijack the thread, but I noticed that you have an outlet on top of a baseboard heater. When I was finishing my basement (didn't know a damn thing about wiring or carpentry when I started and still don't know much now), my electrician told me "put the outlets almost anywhere: just not over a heater, it's against code". Pfffft.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for noticing that.

Interesting that the house was built like that in 1962 but codes have changed since then!

Anyway, that baseboard does not see much heat anymore because it is FHW by oil!

Our 45k BTU Astoria does ALL of our winter heating with 3 tons of pellets.

Ahhhhh....nice. Pellets are great. Too bad there are no pellet vendors in my area or I would have sincerely considered getting one instead of a wood stove!

Andrew

I know we have a TON of wood pellet plants neaby. However, most people burn wood, therefore no hardware shops keep pellets in stock! Very hard to find pellets unfortunately.

:)

A

Swedishchef said:
I know we have a TON of wood pellet plants neaby. However, most people burn wood, therefore no hardware shops keep pellets in stock! Very hard to find pellets unfortunately.

:)

A

I bet if you go to the pellet plant you can buy them and real cheap too! You would have everyone beat!!
Then send away for a good pellet stove!

a powerstrip is a good option, but looks cheezy

Don,

Get rid of all of those stupid unneeded electronics.

Reduce the need for outlets and power eating ghost loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.