One of those nights...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
There's a storm coming through with snow, sleet, and currently freezing rain. It's one of those nights when it takes a lot more effort to keep the fire hot, and a lot more wood for less heat..

It's not that you're getting less heat. It's that the house is losing a lot more heat and quicker.

Be Green's right. Don't know if your using any other heat source but try to keep the house as warm as you can in case you lose power. We were out for 6 days in December due to an ice storm and, although we weren't able to raise the heat on the main floor, with the insert running downstairs, we kept the temp on the main floor from dropping fairly well.

It's "one of those nights" that my wife and I look forward to. A nice warm dinner, glass of wine, working some puzzles, talking, and if it's really "one of those nights," bringing out the pillows and sleeping by the good ol' stove. BTW, "one of those nights" for us is howling NW winds, white-out from blowing snow, and -30F (not windchill), all expected to continue for a couple of days.

We heat a 50-yr old, 1525 sq ft home with a free-standing SeeFire stove 16 years old, no supplemental heat.

Ya, I can relate. I have had some days where the stove just doesn't seem to do the trick. Glad I have a fireplace upstairs that is an overheating beast. Last tuesday we had -40 wind chills and the wife was cold so I lit off the fireplace and the house temp quickly climbed to 85! Then I can let the fireplace burn out and the stove will maintain the temp.

WarmGuy said:
Jim,

How cold is the room furthest from the stove on the morning after one of those nights?

Depends on whether we moved the pillows there because it got too hot by the stove! Otherwise, if we keep the stove well-fired all night, the main living area (1/2 the size of the house) is about 68-74, furthest room about 50 when it's really cold.

We were going to Woodstock VT and got sidetracked by this storm. We got part way there and just turned around and came home; we had the storm here too. We got the stove up to temp, got the house toasty, ate a nice dinner (wine and all) and were generally happy to be home by the stove.
Hope everyone made out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.