Open fireplace burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Burned in open fireplace last night in vacation house so kids could roast marshmallows. Its wierd after not having done for so long. I kept wanting to turn down the air, and the smell of smoke was very noticeable, although I had a strong fire going.

A lot of fireplaces are poorly designed and spill some smoke. Our neighbor has a new one and it spills smoke inside and outside up his too short chimney.

A lot of fireplaces are poorly designed and spill some smoke. Our neighbor has a new one and it spills smoke inside and outside up his too short chimney.
Yea, I think our is way to big, about 4 x 4.

Will it fit a top vent freestanding stove like the Englander 13NC?

Most post -WWII constructed open fireplaces are crap. Deep short square boxes that dont radiate much heat and wont draft for #(*&$#*(&$ For some reason masons forgot the golden rules 'ol Count Rumford discovered for building a good drafting fireplace.

We use ours all the time, but its a real tall/shallow 1800s rumford. Throws a lot of radiant heat and I never smell smoke in the house, ever. Not even sitting right in front of it. Burn the same dry wood I feed the stove and you dont see anything but heat waves from the chimney either.

In fact, im sitting by it right now :)
2015-10-18 20.01.39_resize.jpg

Ours is deep, wide and tall, built in '75. I think they were going for a lodge look, high wide mantle full hearth to sit on, and a feed through wood box door from the outside. Also has a small pizza oven to the right, above the wood box.

Will it fit a top vent freestanding stove like the Englander 13NC?
Probably, but its on the cape, so we're mostly there in summer, and a few days here and there otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.