Open stove door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Apr 12, 2010
Central Texas
I have a stove full of red hot coals and I opened the door to shuffle them around a bit and there was so much radiant heat coming off the coals that I just left the door open. My chair sits right in front of the stove so I have a good view of it and we don't have carpet. Just wondering if anyone else ever burns their stove with the door open to get more heat off of it or just for the ambiance of the fire.

i do when i have a stove full of red hots, nice to get the residual heat out of them, then i load it up and let 'er rip

Jeff

I would never, (and I'm sure YOU agree) leave the stove unattended like that.....................but of course ya'll know that!!

-Soupy1957

It's a situation of diminishing returns. You receive more radiant heat but the stove has free access at sucking up all of the warm air in the room as fast as it can also.

It makes the same problem that a fireplace has as it dies down.

With that said, if I need to get more wood in the stove and have too many coals in the way, I'll crack the door to burn them down quicker.

pen

pen said:
if I need to get more wood in the stove and have too many coals in the way, I'll crack the door to burn them down quicker.

pen

every morning at this time i do the same thing, to make room for the days burn when we are at work...

loon

No, we do not do that. I feel we get more heat by leaving the door closed. We do open the draft full when burning the coals down.

Status
Not open for further replies.