opinion on what to charge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
So I'm ahead on next year's wood supply and want to try selling off a little, what have others charged for neighbors/friends/classifieds? Not interested in selling bulk, just to people who like mood fires or want a little extra.

I'm guesstimating a large wheelbarrow (6 cu.ft.) as much as one can fit of green hardwood for $20.

Thanks, if the idea bombs no problem, just will have to put in less effort next year.

Green hardwood is going to put friends and neighbors in a grumpy mood. Seasoned, that would be a fair price.

If you're selling mood wood in the Cleveland I would think you could get more than 20 a wheelbarrow load. No offense but $20 isn't jack anymore...and you went trough a lot of trouble acquiring and sizing those splits too. Hey churchie..you time is worth something too, don't short change yourself...there's no disgrace in earning a profit from your hard earned labor in this country.

I don't know about anyone else but, if I charged my hourly rate for my work.... firewood I processed would be somewhere around 400/cord.
Mike

That's roughly what 6 cu ft @ $20 comes to.

Just check out those little shrink wrapped bundles in the gas station in cold weather and price yourself accordingly. I think the last time I looked, it was about $6 for a bundle that wouldn't have filled the 4300.

I have a neighbor that gives it away for free, but he was always a liitle wierd...

Chris

Giving away firewood :bug: let me in on that. My wife want a fire pit out back and told her NO WAY, I'm nit burning my winter supply. :mad: ......Then she reminds me that "When Mama's happy....Daddy's happy" So this weekend I think I will be building a fire pit.

TGun9590 said:
Giving away firewood :bug: let me in on that. My wife want a fire pit out back and told her NO WAY, I'm nit burning my winter supply. :mad: ......Then she reminds me that "When Mama's happy....Daddy's happy" So this weekend I think I will be building a fire pit.

Love our fire pit! I built it large enough to serve two functions. 1: Ambiance...great for sitting around with friends/family and enjoying some adult beverages. 2: Burning brush......I cut down a cherry try tree that was overhanging the lawn. The wood I cut/split/stacked, and the brush I broke up and stuffed into the fire pit for our next fire. Its only about 5-6 feet across so its not to big, but can handle brush with ease.

About the time someone tried to throw some wood from my wood pile into it......there'd be some serious problems.

People buying wood for a mood fire are going to be reluctant to buy green. If you are thinking to buy it- then it's for that night/weekend. They will pay a premium for ready now, bug-free wood.

Heck- they are just stopping on their way to buy a bottle of Shiraz and a Barry White CD. Ohhh baby

Some neighbors cut down a large red oak that I was able to get some of. My neighbor on the other side got some as well and their son is burning it in their outdoor fire pit! RED OAK! Makes me sick every time I see them lighting a fire up over there......I should trade them some punky pine for it...

pulldownclaw said:
Some neighbors cut down a large red oak that I was able to get some of. My neighbor on the other side got some as well and their son is burning it in their outdoor fire pit! RED OAK! Makes me sick every time I see them lighting a fire up over there......I should trade them some punky pine for it...

I can feel a sickness in the pit of my stomach after reading that!

I say your nutz to sell any. If you buy your firewood, your gonna lose money later cause its getting more expensive

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I say your nutz to sell any. If you buy your firewood, your gonna lose money later cause its getting more expensive

Interesting, are you saying that if I process a cord of wood now, I should build in the 'worth' of seasoning and also the fact that energy prices are going up across the board. Didn't think of that, I'm just thinking of selling to people who are price insensitive, meaning these may be the people who pay the $5 for 3/4 cu. ft. shrink wrapped from the corner gas station (and get t-o-t-a-l-l-y ripped off).

churchie said:
Adirondackwoodburner said:

Interesting, are you saying that if I process a cord of wood now, I should build in the 'worth' of seasoning and also the fact that energy prices are going up across the board. Didn't think of that, I'm just thinking of selling to people who are price insensitive, meaning these may be the people who pay the $5 for 3/4 cu. ft. shrink wrapped from the corner gas station (and get t-o-t-a-l-l-y ripped off).

You should at least charge more for seasoning- that is standard practice when buying by the cord, and smaller volumes are surely at a premium compared to cords. Think about the effort- in addition to cut, split, package, transport- you have to at least stack it, cover when needed, have space for storage, and break it down.

churchie said:
...I'm just thinking of selling to people who are price insensitive, meaning these may be the people who pay the $5 for 3/4 cu. ft. shrink wrapped from the corner gas station (and get t-o-t-a-l-l-y ripped off).

So, you're just looking to p-a-r-t-i-a-l-l-y rip them off, then? :wow: Rick

Churchie: you ain`t keeping up with the forum. okay go ahead and sell it, then maybe next year when you are desperate, you can buy it back for triple the price.---Scavenge wood, log wood, get wood, and treat it like brown gold. and "hoard it"..

Anyone with eyes wide open can see. the times they are a getting harder. :blank:

Green wood or not most people would buy it for a camp fire or fire pit, they could care less if it is green! $20 a wheelbarrow is good price, if it is seasoned $30!

sonnyinbc said:
Churchie: you ain`t keeping up with the forum.. . .you can buy it back for triple the price . . Anyone with eyes wide open can see. the times they are a getting harder. :blank:

. .. thanks

Heck, I would weld up a nice sturdy small steel box with a money slot on top and bolt it to the wheelbarrow, throw a sign up "$20 per load" and see what happens.

I know a guy that does a similar trick with sweet corn. He says that lots of times, there is more money in the box then he had corn on the wagon.

Guy I knew in the Shenandoah Valley grew berries. He set up a sign and little deal by his driveway with a box for $$$ and a stack of small paper sacks. Put some $$$ in the box, grab a sack, and pick your own berries. He said he never had any sort of problem with that "hoinor system" way of selling his berries. Depends on your neighborhood, I'd say. Rick

Jags said:
Heck, I would weld up a nice sturdy small steel box with a money slot on top and bolt it to the wheelbarrow, throw a sign up "$20 per load" and see what happens.

'Course, you might end up losing the wheelbarrow too. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.