Opinions needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhtodd

Dec 10, 2007
ManchVegas, New Hampshire
I have been heating my home (1300 SQ ft cape) with an older 1979ish All Nighter mid moe. Would it be a good idea to look for a new stove? Are the newer models that much better?

If what you have doesn't have a CAT or a secondary burn system a new stove will burn a lot less wood while keeping the house at the same temps.

That was my thought as well. I currently have issues with creosote as well.

I got rid of my Moe and could not be happier. The savings in wood and burn times are way better than I imagined. Creosote was a huge problem, now I don't have any build up, last year this time my stove pipes would of been full.

One other change that I made after dumping the Moe was getting rid of the old tile and switching to an insulated stainless liner. A lot of money spent up front but would do it again for the piece of mind and comfort this set up offers.

So yes they are much better than what you have. One other issue I had with my Moe, Very hard to light and maintain a decent burn, the smoke was out of control most of the time. It sucked putting on T-shirts that were in a drawer on the other end of the house and smelling like smoke in the summer!

I have had it for 13 years and it has worked well but it does use lots of wood. I have it in the basement as that is the only place I can put one. I have a clay lined chimney that gets very clogged and I am cleaning it all the time.

Sounds like Mandoo answered the question.

I believe we all have a responsibility to the environment to burn as cleanly as possible. If your cleaning all the time, your sending alot of burnable gases up the chimney.

I have been burning for over 20 years, and have NEVER cleaned my chimney, in 4 different homes I used wood burning stoves in. I inspect every fall, and there is no buildup, just some light grey dry ash.

If your tight for cash, check out an EPA compliant name brand used unit that needs some gaskets, and freshen it up yourself. Good summer project.

Destroy your old stove and take it to a scrap dealer.

Buy a new stove !!! get a new ss liner, etc installed the thing right, and you will be VERY pleased with the out come!

Status
Not open for further replies.