Opinions on hand held thermometers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
What are your opinions on good but economical handheld units that you just shoot @ the surface and it gives you the temp digitally?

Search this forum for Infrared thermometers. There are lots of posts on this topic. They work fine, but be sure to get one that covers up to at least 900 °F

I recently quit using mine. I burned for twenty five years using the plain old coil type surface thermos and I took the three from the stoves and put them side by side on the 30-NC and they all registered the same temp. The non-contact registered 75 to 100 higher. I stuck the IR in the closet.

Just got a fancy one and I love it. Just posted a review of sorts on it (Sixth Sense LT300) here on the "Gear" forum. Unlike BrotherBart's experience, mine showed almost the exact temp as the contact ones I have (within about 10-15º). I did notice that the coil type seen to have a lag time while the stove is heating up rapidly. The IR therm gives an instant reading of just about anything you can point it at. Mine was a bit pricey, but it's guaranteed accurate to within about 1% across its range. I've been mentally mapping out the hot and cold spots on the stove to help figure how to get better burns. Plus, it's just plain fun to use.

The one I bought from Harbor Freight showed the same temp as my Condar thermometer on my stove . . . I think it was $20 . . . a fun, little toy.

Ditto on the HF. I've found it accurate.
Maybe you have to pay more for one with a narrower aperture (more accurate from a distance).

+3 on the HF one

it's cool

400 °F is my magic temp to fully close the door and start closing the air, and my coil thermometer lags too much. (Now I can sort of "see" when it's 400 degrees, but I still like to check).

Also, my 1st coil thermometer started sticking at a certain temp, so I never felt sure of its accuracy. I tried to fix it by re-coiling it, and then it was sucky in new ways. My new coil thermo is totally wrong at cool temps, but is ok above them. But I only know that from having the IR thermometer.

If I had a stove that it was easy but important not to overfire, like a Hearthstone, I would have 2 IR thermometers (2 in case I dropped one during burning season)

Also, the laser part of the IR is great when I'm tired of playing but the kitten is going bonkers. :)

I have had the HF IR for four seasons or so. Right off the bat I noticed that with the "laser" turned on it registered around 75 degrees higher than with it turned off aimed at the same spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.