opinions on Jøtul F 100 Nordic QT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did find this little blurb in the manual but I can't find anything on the subject beyond this:

The stove is supplied from the factory with a flue collar fitted to the top plate and a round blanking
plate blocking off the rear flue exit (behind the rear shield plate).

I don't see where it has any measurements for it though.

Congratulations on your decision to heat with wood. I think it is a very wise move given it is fairly easy to obtain free firewood in these parts.

I agree with the suggestions here. You should either consider an insert with a blower or move a freestanding stove in front of the hearth and rear vent it. Its a tough call which is better. The stove in front of the hearth would give more heating surface into the room and would be very advantageous should the electricity go out but I would probably opt for an insert given the preference for top venting device which will draft better.

I think you might end up disappointed in your intented installation unless you have a way to circulate the heat into the room. My concern is most of the heat would go to heating the stone in interior of the hearth since 3/4 of the surface area of the stove is trapped within those small confines.

My installation is similar to yours but I chose a freestanding stove that is rear vented in front of the hearth due to reduced costs.
It was a conversion from a ventless propane setup and interior of the fireplace was inadequate to withstand the heat of an insert and it was much cheaper to extend a hearth pad.

As for size you could choose either but I probably would opt for the CB3 since it has a longer burn time. My Castine heats 933 sq ft and it is the right sized for the house in most weather conditions. The stove will struggle to keep my rooms furthest away warm enough at prolonged temps below 5 F due to overcoaling.

JBinKC said:
Congratulations on your decision to heat with wood. I think it is a very wise move given it is fairly easy to obtain free firewood in these parts.

I agree with the suggestions here. You should either consider an insert with a blower or move a freestanding stove in front of the hearth and rear vent it. Its a tough call which is better. The stove in front of the hearth would give more heating surface into the room and would be very advantageous should the electricity go out but I would probably opt for an insert given the preference for top venting device which will draft better.

I think you might end up disappointed in your intented installation unless you have a way to circulate the heat into the room. My concern is most of the heat would go to heating the stone in interior of the hearth since 3/4 of the surface area of the stove is trapped within those small confines.

My installation is similar to yours but I chose a freestanding stove that is rear vented in front of the hearth due to reduced costs.
It was a conversion from a ventless propane setup and interior of the fireplace was inadequate to withstand the heat of an insert and it was much cheaper to extend a hearth pad.

As for size you could choose either but I probably would opt for the CB3 since it has a longer burn time. My Castine heats 933 sq ft and it is the right sized for the house in most weather conditions. The stove will struggle to keep my rooms furthest away warm enough at prolonged temps below 5 F due to overcoaling.

I should have updated this. I have decided I will extend the hearth out and put the back of the stove roughly even with the front of the fire place so I should be able to take advantage of most of the heat it puts out. I will rear vent it too. My wife says she wants to tile the fireplace so we will do the hearth and that at the same time. I am still not sold on the cost difference of the 3cb or the more strict hearth requirements.

My next project is to cut out the damper and see how much space I will have for me pipe.

Right now for the hearth I plan to lay down a sheet of wonder board or something along those lines and then tile on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.