opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Decided after 1st year to add another stove. Present unit is Quad CB1200. Heats most of the house pretty well. Problem is can't get enough heat into kitchen/eating area. Tried all kinds of fans and locations but old house just isn't cooperating.
Option 1: The only location for a new unit in kitchen(would have to be a smaller size like Enviro Mini, etc) requires venting horizontally through an enclosed porch with a low ceiling.
Option 2: Adding a unit (ducted stove or small furnace) in the basement. Would then run ducts up into the kitchen area.
Option 3: New pellet boiler tied into existing baseboard radiation.
Need to keep install costs down so option 3 is probably out. Option 2 is viable because I could put unit directly under that wing and have short duct runs. Son-in-law is a "tin knocker" so making ductwork is not an issue.
Figured now is the time to start my thinking so I could have it done by next fall.

TIA

hossthehermit said:
Door #2, Monty

Classis Bay is a good unit. But Options 2 & 3 make the CB 1200 take a back seat and becomes secondary heat, while the furnace or boiler would be primary. Better options, IMO

I'm leaning towards the basement unit because of the flexibility. I am scouring craigslist and other sites hoping to find a gently used unit. Any suggestions?

The Revolution should be a great solution, also hearing good things about the Farenheit Endurance. I've heard about the Breckwell Big E in that setup, but not real good reviews

Forced Hit air furnaces- (BTU's)

Harman PF-100. (100,000)
St. Croix Revolution. (75,000)
St. Croix 050-SCF. (50,000)
Fahrenheit Endurance (50,000) (underrated IMO)

Freestanding w/ Ducting options-

Enviro Maxx. (50,000-70,000)
Enviro Maxx-M. (50,000-70,000)
Enerzone Euromax. (70,000)
(There are a few other units that do this, but they get pricey).

Thanks for the info. Now just waiting for something to "come along" for sale (used).

Another question. The basement (very unfinished) does get wet during summer (heavy) storms. Have a sump pump but would a wet basement cause problems with a pellet stove? Don't have any issues with other items down there but are pellet stoves more suseptible to rusting?
The water is coming from an underground source so no chance of diverting it.

I have a Basement Watchdog Battery Back-Up sump pump. We have had flooding in the past (and a Fire, not stove related, during a Power outage). But since the battery back-up, I have not worried. I actually bought another system and have it on standby (because I am paranoid).

I put my Pellet furnace up on Brick Pavers just in case. The woodstove is on the ground, but it has no.electronics on it (no blower) and I plan on installing the leg kit (have it) and taking the pedestal off. Just to be safe.

Put it on Pavers or Blocks and run a dehumidifier down there (and maybe look into battery back ups?)

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 209
Have a dehumidifier and like I said have not had issues with the boiler, tank , etc. Just wanting to answer as many questions as possible before pulling the trigger.
Like the battery backup sump..going to have to search that one out. Would definately put unit on blocks anyway.
Thanks.

The battery back-ups are not cheap (depends on your buget), but for the peace of mind, knowing that your at work and the Power is out (in a Huge Downpour), its Priceless in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.