Optimizing burn rate/radiated heat (Jotul Castine)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up with my dad's wood burning stove - the original one he grew up with "on the farm", in our basement, and have great memories of snugging the armchairs up around the stove and getting lost in a good book. So I was seduced by the classy look of the Jotul castine (in ivory) and had visions of loading it up, and toasting the whole house. OK - whole house is a stretch, but my 16x14 LR - I expect to raise the temp in that room several degrees with the stove burning. I haven't been able to raise the room temp more than 4 degrees, and you have to be 1-2 ft close to the stove to feel any radiant heat coming off. This is a new house, well insulated. Am I expecting too much from the Jotul? Or did I miss the "optimizing radiant heat" section of the owner's manual???

You are using either wet wood or you have poor draft in your chimney.

Could you elaborate on the set up?

What kind of chimney? How Tall? What size?

What kind of wood? When was it cut, split and stacked?

Others will be along soon who have the same unit.

J.P.

Could be the layout of the house too. Hard to say without a lot more info. What are the typical stove top temps you are seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.