Options for a temporary hearth extension that could be taken up in the summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I need to extend my hearth out from my brick fireplace and would like to lay down something that could be removed and stored in the summer. I have a fairly narrow family room where my stove is installed and would like to not have the hearth sticking out any further than it is now when the season ends.

Here is a picture of what I have. This is one from the current thread I have on my liner install.

Attachments

• Liner Install 1-1.jpg
    Liner Install 1-1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,303
Check out my install pics. There a pic that shows what I did for a temp solution that I take out after the burn season. You can purchase at most masonry dealers.

Morso sells a thick tempered glass pad.

stejus said:
Check out my install pics. There a pic that shows what I did for a temp solution that I take out after the burn season. You can purchase at most masonry dealers.

Thanks
That's kind of what I've had in mind. Your hearth and fireplace are almost identical to mine. You have a beautiful setup. That is one of the prettiest surrounds I've seen. Mine are plain old black sheet-metal and I'm going to paint the inside of the fireplace black and leave them off for awhile and see how I like it. I think I'll get more heat that way.

I found that most manuals don't address a hearth set-up like yours in that it is rather tall (lloks like 8 or so inches off floor. Your manual calls for 24" of non-combutable protection. With the height of your insert I don't think you will have any radiant heat problems. Mine is 2" raised, 18" in front of insert. The ceramic gets hot out to the edge but at the drop off of the hearth the wood floor is cold. So I think your issue is ember protection. Realizing that it call for 3/8" thick I would feel fine were it mine to put a fiberglass rug down . If you stick to specs you will need about 16" of something laying on the floor infront of the hearth. You could cut a piece of something or even out 2 rugs down (that would probably get you the 3/8"). But all those cost money and I bet you'd be happier to cut the floor out and lay 2 more courses of brick and be way cheaper than a rug. I can bet that would be the favorite seat in the house.

rwhite said:
I found that most manuals don't address a hearth set-up like yours in that it is rather tall (lloks like 8 or so inches off floor. Your manual calls for 24" of non-combutable protection. With the height of your insert I don't think you will have any radiant heat problems. Mine is 2" raised, 18" in front of insert. The ceramic gets hot out to the edge but at the drop off of the hearth the wood floor is cold. So I think your issue is ember protection. Realizing that it call for 3/8" thick I would feel fine were it mine to put a fiberglass rug down . If you stick to specs you will need about 16" of something laying on the floor infront of the hearth. You could cut a piece of something or even out 2 rugs down (that would probably get you the 3/8"). But all those cost money and I bet you'd be happier to cut the floor out and lay 2 more courses of brick and be way cheaper than a rug. I can bet that would be the favorite seat in the house.

Thanks rwhite. You are right in that I'm mainly concerned about ember protection the rugs sound like an alternative I'll look into. I have thought about extending the brick but the room is long and fairly narrow and it would really cut in to it. Thats why I'm looking for something I can easily take up in the non burning season which around here is pretty much April through Sept.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with some good insights.

My fireplace looks almost identical to yours. I purchased a "stoveboard" to lay it in front of the hearth. We put a non-slip rubber pad for rugs underneath so it stays in place. Once caveat which, we noticed unfortunately a bit late, the metal crimps underneath are a bit sharp and can scratch the floor. I put some tape over it that together with the rubber pad prevents any further damage. Btw. I am always amazed how warm the board is about 1 ft away from the hearth. At least mine must get some serious radiant heat.

Good thread, I should probably do the same for mine with the new set up.

Nice stuff on that woodlandirect.com, but odd that they don't make an extension in plain old red brick?
At least I didn't see one on their site.

Thanks Grisu. I hadn't thought of that option but that's exactly why I posted this thread. I looked at the hearth extenders on Woodland but not crazy about paying a couple hundred dollars right now for anything else either. The liner and all the stuff needed to install it has me tapped out for right now so a stoveboard may be the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.