Options for window covers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Might be worth trying it with 15' at first to see how it performs. Depending on the adjacent 2nd story and wind orientation it might be a problem or maybe not. This could also be affected by terrain. Highbeam has his Princess on 12' and it works ok, so maybe that is another option?

Thanks, I'll obviously keep everybody posted... The closest stove store is almost an hr away, do I'm sure that won't do me any favors with the price and such... Annnnd, if the house falls through I'll rot in NYC till we try again...

Part II . . . starring James02 as Snake.

Attachments

• escape-from-new-york.jpg
    escape-from-new-york.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 49
@firefighterjake , dare to dream... I had a P.E. Summit in my former life, so the baffle stove made it OK to burn decent wood... The sooner we close, the sooner I can get to seasoning... Won't be full time just yet so I'll look for some pine and split thinner... Then proceed as normal for the further or years.

You know, I hesitate to ask because I've been dead set on getting a bkk... But if I have to put the "new stove" where the existing tile stove is, what are my options with that 90*??? Could I do a princess???

Ok, here are the pics.... i was going to use the stove as extra firepower, until there were clearance issues... and the corner i was hoping to put the bkk...
Not my tv, just in the house....just sayin...

The second pic with the windows meeting in the corner is not a real good spot, i mean it can be but you got some work to do to make it look nice. You got your baseboard heat their i know its not a combustible but it will look unprofessional if its left behind the stove.

Why not just put it where the stove in the picture is?

The second pic with the windows meeting in the corner is not a real good spot, i mean it can be but you got some work to do to make it look nice. You got your baseboard heat their i know its not a combustible but it will look unprofessional if its left behind the stove.
Why not just put it where the stove in the picture is?

It sounds as if he thinks that the King can't be used with a 90 elbow in the exhaust. I don't have a king, but that 90 isn't necessarily a problem as long as everything is 8" and there's enough height, is it?

I see your point... There is an old tile stove and according to the inspection, clearance isn't legit... If I build out the hearth, it's got a 90* bend which I know from reading hundreds of pages isn't good for the BKK... I'll get that pic up later too... So much to think about...

It can be and many have done it. You need at least 36 inches maybe a lil more before the 90 tho. You can do 24 inches with 2 45s and they state in the manual. But since he is going into a masonry chimney he needs to also check how wide it is, its recommment that you use a insualted liner to create a better draft also.

James i think the princess ultra would be a excellent fit for your pre existing setup it uses a 6 inch pipe. But i understand if you want the big boy as i have one also this uses a 8 inch pipe tho. Just make sure all your chimney is tall enough and wide enough. I think the height they wanna see is 15 or 18 feet for the liner or the class a if you put it inthe other spot.

The hearth original hearth Might be able to be extended, you can get some used bricks instead of new this way they show age like your preexisting hearth. From their can extend the hearth out to meet the Requirements.

This forum has more educated people then me tho in this deprtment, they should chime in soon.

@Coyoterun , I know it "can" be used with a 90*... But, I don't want any issues... If the existing stove empties into a masonry chimney, that might not be a problem either of I remember from the readings here. @Niko , I'd probably get the liner... do it right, do it once...

Last edited:
@Coyoterun , I know it "can" be used with a 90*... But, I don't want any issues... If the existing stove empties into a masonry chimney, that might not be a problem either of I remember from the readings here. @Niko , I'd probably get the liner... do it right, do it once...

Well you gotta check your chimney up top and see how Wide it is :) and get a nice flashlight and look inside and do a visual inspection. If your roof can be walked on and you feel comfortable doing it also. Also if your just buying the house it have your inspector get up top and tell you the condition of it.

Not just a liner you want a insulated one, unless the chimney is in the middle of the house then maybe you wont need a insulated one. But i would want someone who knows more to give that advice.

By the way where are you in Ny?

@Niko , actually in dutchess CTY... I'm going to be in your neighbourhood... Want to trade some dry wood, ha... Well might be... Live in the chitty now, but who knows?!?!

Last edited:
Ok, I'm reviving this thread.. we got the house!! I really want the king, if I do put it in the existing stoves spot which does go up through the furnace chimney, how would I clean it?? When I had my insert I just shove the spot eater up and junk would fall into the stove. If I clean it that way now, won't all the crud fall into the furnace?
Tks!

I don't know much but I do know this...... never share a flue with another appliance.

Dave

@djkeev, I pretty much agree. But I'm close to positive that folks on here are doing it. I'd like to avoid the extra work if at all possibly add we aren't here full time yet.

@djkeev, I pretty much agree. But I'm close to positive that folks on here are doing it. I'd like to avoid the extra work if at all possibly add we aren't here full time yet.

It's not code, and not really safe.

That said, it might possibly work with an easy breathing stove, but I don't think that the King is one of those. From some of the stories on here and elsewhere, it sounds like good draft is very important to the King, and you're not going to get good draft sharing a flue.

I can't imagine that you'll be satisfied with that setup.

Well I'm convinced, thanks for being the voice of reason..