Options/Requirements for wall shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's very confusing about the PH wall shield diagram it's based on the stove without the rear heat shield. With the rear stove heat shield the back clearance is reduced to 12". Without this reduction a corner installation would be near impossible unless one had a grand ballroom to install it in.

What I'm not following is why the wall shield diagram is based on the assumption of an unshielded stove or at least why both setups are not shown.

progress corner.PNG

Anyhow, sorry for my confusing the issue with the Fireview. WoodDuck has it correct. If you have 21.75" to the wall, the shield must extend 10.15" beyond the front and back of the stove and be 67.5" tall. (24x24 minus 21.75x21.75=103. Sq rt of 103=10.15"). If the stove is 25" deep, then the side wall shield should be at least 45.3" wide. Conveniently, sheet metal comes in 48" wide sheets.

Myself, in a home, I would be making the wallshield out of durock and then applying some sort of stone veneer to it. The clearance is still measured to the combustible wall so the thickness of the wall shield is of no concern. I like metal. I like diamondplate and copper, stuff like that but a hearth with a big stone stove, I like a masonry material.

Myself, in a home, I would be making the wallshield out of durock and then applying some sort of stone veneer to it. The clearance is still measured to the combustible wall so the thickness of the wall shield is of no concern. I like metal. I like diamondplate and copper, stuff like that but a hearth with a big stone stove, I like a masonry material.

Unfortunately for me I agree in fact. However, given that it is one side and it would then look odd with the back wall still not matching, I'd then have to do some covering of the back wall too... then integrate it nicely into the hearth and... You see how this will quickly grow into a large scale project? I know, it deserves to be done... I just don't know how to make the time to do it (given I'll be learning as I go). I made the hearth pad myself and that took over 3 weeks as it was (never tiled before so that was all learning curve).

I'm hoping for minimal approach at least to start...

On the flip side I did talk to Woodstock this afternoon and have some hope for a resolution with their help too... working this from every angle I can think of at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.