Oregon 22 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver

Feb 1, 2014
Southwestern Va
Does anyone have input on the Oregon line of splitters? Or are they a higher priced version of another splitter?

Thanks for the info, so the Oregon is the same as the TSC brand Huskee only with a Kohler or Honda motor instead of a Briggs. I've heard the Briggs can be hard to start in cold weather which is what steered me away from the Huskee brand. Now is it worth $500 more for the Oregon, I don't know but I'm heading to Northern Tool today to check out their splitters North Star, to get even more confused.

Huskee seems to be a fav around this forum.

I got the ariens for a lot less money than the Oregon and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the info, so the Oregon is the same as the TSC brand Huskee only with a Kohler or Honda motor instead of a Briggs. I've heard the Briggs can be hard to start in cold weather which is what steered me away from the Huskee brand. Now is it worth $500 more for the Oregon, I don't know but I'm heading to Northern Tool today to check out their splitters North Star, to get even more confused.

I think both the TSC and Oregon are both made by MTD, but both are made to different specs. As for the Briggs being hard to start in winter, that is true for me and will be that way unless we put some lighter hydraulic oil in it. But it still works better for us to do all the splitting at one time so we cut in winter and split in spring then stack immediately after.

One more thing on the Briggs & Stratton engine, ours starts super easy usually with only one pull. It has a lot of wear and tear and we may have to replace it soon but it also is over 20 years old and has split well over 200 cord of wood. Easy on gas too which is a plus over the larger engines. The thing that gets me the most is most of the splitters now come with no throttle. Start them and it is full speed ahead immediately and of course that also means you shut them down from full speed ahead. That can not be good for the engines.

You can't go wrong with the Huskee 22, mine started up just fine the day that was 10 degrees, although I do keep mine in the garage, if the Oregon is 500$ more, I would really do more research before you spend that extra money.....

Status
Not open for further replies.