oregon chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
I was at wallmart and seen oregon bars that come with a chain and some kind of sharpener that goes on the end of the bar for around $70.00. It looks like you mount on end of bar, start saw, give it some gas, and in a couple seconds your chain is suppost to be sharp. Has anyone tried these and do they work well ?

Those "Powersharp" things are only sold on a few consumer bar/chain combos.They take a special chain,once its ground down & need replaced you have to buy exact replacement,no other regular chain,safety or not, will work.One way to burn through your hard-earned cash,as well as chains much faster.IMO you're better off learning to sharpen yourself with a file,even though its slower.To speed up production,those 12 volt battery or cordless grinders with 7/32" round stone are great when out in the field.

It is for a home owner cleaning up yard crap. In that setting it would pay off.

Thanks for the info. Didn't look close enough to tell it was differn't chain.

I've seen those advertised recently on DIY channels. Checked it out on their website. Looked interesting until I realized it requires a special chain.
They make them for virtually all brands of saws but I don't want to invest in specialized equipment. I've been doing my own sharpening by hand for the past couple of years and have it down pretty good. Don't need no steenkin' gadgets.

I can usually get mine pretty sharp with a file, but it seems to take me 20 miniutes. If that worked on regular chain and reduced the time to a minute I'd have bought one.

I've looked closely at those in the store. They are interesting. The grind is on the top of the cutter instead of the bottom. This allows that grinding stone that goes on the end of the bar to sharpen it when you run the saw.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. when you sharpen knives and the like you are supposed to pull (somewhat) away from the blade. the way a chainsaw works you'd be grinding into the edge. not a huge deal, but something to consider.

Also, i didn't get a chance to examine how the rakers look on this system. not sure what they do about those.

Status
Not open for further replies.