Oregon Logging Action Pics (And BIG Upcoming Scrounge!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
My friend that has let me thin his overgrown Christmas trees for firewood over the past two years, decided to log off and sell most of his Douglas Fir trees (most are 100'+ tall and up to 4'+ diameter), because he needs the money. :( But, he said I can cut whatever they don't take! :) I know they are not taking any of the maple, and there are several large maple trees! :) And anything they can't take to the mill, they will be leaving! :) So, it looks like I will be real busy this spring. There is WAY more than I can take myself, but there are other friends that will be cutting some firewood too!

Anyway, I have a bunch of pictures I took of some of the tree falling and logging operation in progress. The first picture was yesterday, before they got started. I will put more picture up later, because I have to leave in a few minutes. He has several acres.

Enjoy!

DSCN2546.JPGDSCN2547.JPGDSCN2561.JPGDSCN2546.JPGDSCN2547.JPGDSCN2561.JPGDSCN2562.JPGDSCN2563.JPGDSCN2564.JPGDSCN2565.JPGDSCN2566.JPGDSCN2567.JPGDSCN2568.JPG

Too bad he has to sell his trees, but good that you're there to get the leavings. That's supposed to be some pretty good fuel. :cool:

Here's a few more pictures of the work:

Attachments

• DSCN2549.JPG
    DSCN2549.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN2550.JPG
    DSCN2550.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN2551.JPG
    DSCN2551.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN2552.JPG
    DSCN2552.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN2553.JPG
    DSCN2553.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN2554.JPG
    DSCN2554.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN2555.JPG
    DSCN2555.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN2557.JPG
    DSCN2557.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN2558.JPG
    DSCN2558.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN2560.JPG
    DSCN2560.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: smokinj
What is the pulling cable hooked to, a winch on the 'dozer?

Here's a few more action pics falling a couple more tall Douglas fir. You can see the nice "pie" cut before the fall on one of the pics. Enjoy!

DSCN2569.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2570.JPG
    DSCN2570.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN2571.JPG
    DSCN2571.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN2572.JPG
    DSCN2572.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN2573.JPG
    DSCN2573.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: Thistle and smokinj
Those buggers have to be a dream to fell. Glad you can get some of the wood.

Reactions: ScotO
A great score. By Fall you should be a few years ahead.
Lots of work to get there, but it'll sure feel good to look at it all stacked up.
Have fun :)

A great score. By Fall you should be a few years ahead.
Lots of work to get there, but it'll sure feel good to look at it all stacked up.
Have fun :)

Yeah, I can't wait :) until I can get in there when they are done, hopefully later this week, or for sure next week! They took today off from falling. I need to make room for all this wood. I'll need to go to my brother in law's house, and retrieve my 2012-2013 oak, and put this wood in it's place after I empty the pallets. I will concentrate on the maple first. My brother in law has a big Douglas fir he wants gone, that the roots are pushing up his driveway and shop sidewalk. I should be 3 years ahead by fall, I'm hoping.

I got lazy two/three years ago. 2010-2011 wood I bought 3 cut/split cords but I loaded in June 2010. Never, NEVER again. :eek: It will take a lot of work to get 3 years ahead. But, I'm up for the task! ;)

I'm also on a pallet hunt, and found only two so far. Craigslist is turning up nothing around here. Neither is Home Depot or Lowe's. I'd like to find about 10 more pallets.

That is something I would love to do......Pacific Northwest logging. Great pics, and yes OB you will b busy gathering up wood. Does your friend have a place for you to stack your overrun on his property? You're gonna need some room to store all that firewood!

BF,

Don't know how far south of Portland you are, (I'm guessing) but I'll keep my eyes out for pallets. Looks like some nice clean fir, but of course most of that will go to the mill. Do you know if any will go export? That might give you a bunch more long butts. I suspect you'll have plenty to keep you busy anyway. Great score!

BF,

Don't know how far south of Portland you are, (I'm guessing) but I'll keep my eyes out for pallets. Looks like some nice clean fir, but of course most of that will go to the mill. Do you know if any will go export? That might give you a bunch more long butts. I suspect you'll have plenty to keep you busy anyway. Great score!

I'm in Salem. Going to Portland for 6 pallets is a lot of gas. My truck gets about 10 to 12 MPH, so it's not worth the gas for a few pallets. I can buy pallets at one place for $2.30/pallet. I'm trying all my options first before forking out any $$$. It's kind of like a treasure hunt game, and actually kind of a fun hunt! I can fit only about 6 pallets/load with my truck canopy.

I went over to my friend's house today, and they did not fall any more trees yesterday or today. The loggers have to be done by April 30, per the contract. I did look in the back acre, and there is a very tall spruce they fell, another couple of maples I did not know about, and a tall pine, I'm sure they won't take to the mill, oh and there is a nice ash tree in the mix. There's another hardwood tree, I can't tell what kind of tree it is, because the leaves are just sprouting. They haven't fell it yet. I might have to do a wood ID post when I can get to it.

I don't know where the wood will end up, if exported or not. My friend doesn't know.

Cool pics and good score. I'd be all over that stuff. Doug Fir seems to be top dog around here, and I like it, but maple's my favorite. It splits super easy and dries fast. Plus it seems to get left behind by the loggers so it's easy to get.

Cool picts. That looks like big trees on flat ground, and should make for easy access. I'd make sure the landowner knew how much I aooreciated access. Just a question...when you get three plus years out in wood storage, will you stack it in rounds or split it now?

By the looks of those hinges - that dude has done this before.

Its a shame that the trees have to go, but good for you on the firewood side.

Cool picts. That looks like big trees on flat ground, and should make for easy access. I'd make sure the landowner knew how much I aooreciated access. Just a question...when you get three plus years out in wood storage, will you stack it in rounds or split it now?

I'll split it all as soon as possible. I plan on cutting first, then taking the loads to my sister's house where I store my wood, then split as I can, on days off from work, or in the evenings, hopefully before it gets real hot outside. Unless my friend lets me store some at his house, but I'm guessing he will want to start re-landscaping as soon as possible.

Some of my favorite times splitting wood have been when it's hot outside, and you can suck down a gallon of iced tea. And then the winter fat around the belly goes pouring off!

Reactions: JeffersonCoKs
Status
Not open for further replies.