orientation of splits, noob question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
Still a rookie, I’m wondering if someone might explain the pros/cons of n/s and e/w loading. (and if I understand it correctly, seems many stoves don’t have the dimensions to allow the user this option anyway?)

I prefer n-s as I never have to worry about the logs rolling towards the door. Plus, my stove doesn't burn wood for beans e-w.

Many say that e-w will provide a longer burn than a n-s load.

pen

pen said:
I prefer n-s as I never have to worry about the logs rolling towards the door. Plus, my stove doesn't burn wood for beans e-w.

Many say that e-w will provide a longer burn than a n-s load.
pen

I think those two reasons sum up why many folks burn north-south or east-west . . . north/south for quick burns and to keep splits from falling against the glass . . . east-west for longer burns.

Me . . . my firebox is rectangular so I pretty much burn everything east-west except at the start of the season when I'm burning my chunks, punks and uglies since the chunks are small enough to go north-south. When I want a long burn (which is pretty typical at this time of year) I load east-west like I always do and go with larger splits and rounds and load up the firebox . . . in the late Spring for a quick, hot fire to take the chill out of the air I'll load east-west like normal, but go with a partial load and use some of my "lesser" wood -- softwoods, poplar, etc. that I've tossed to the side.

I dont give too much thought as to whether they're straight, gay, bi curious..whatever. I do however find that when it is really cold If I position them using both, say a piece n/s then a few small splits E/W it allows for more air curculation and a hot fire without having a full stove. Then when it burns down there isnt a huge bed of coals and I can repeat the process all day with much temp drop in the stove and no big coal buildup. I do the opposite for a long night burn and stuff as much in as possible. Huge colbed in the morn.

I just recently pulled a storm downed Pin Oak from my woods and bucked into ten inch logs, which I split in anticipation of beginning a layered burn next year. Bottom row will be E/W, next layer will be short N/S. I have about half a cord of really great, fresh cut oak that should season by next year since it's cut short and split into smallish pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.