Osburn 2000 insert Finished

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Here are some pics of my Osburn 2000 wood insert I installed this summer with alot of tips from alot of you and I want to thank you all for the help. Its painted Mid Night brown and has the nickle trim package. I also installed a heat shield above the stove because of the wood trim. I do have a hearth extender ordered that will be painted brown as well.

Question: Its going to in the low to mid 50's this weekend in Michigan is this an ok temp to do a couple low temp break in fires?

Thanks again and bring on some cold temps!

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 269
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 234
Looks great......

It was in the 60's when I installed my 30 last year!!

50's is almost Arctic. Burn away :)

Awesome! Looks great. Congrats. You should be fine to do those break in fires. It's actually good to do it while it's not that cold because the first few fires will stink while curing the paint, so windows open is no big deal.

Awesome! Looks great. Congrats. You should be fine to do those break in fires. It's actually good to do it while it's not that cold because the first few fires will stink while curing the paint, so windows open is no big deal.

Agreed!... On both accounts...

Looks great. Congrats!!!
I once did a break in fire when it was 100+ degrees outside, so I think you will be just fine with a couple break in fires at 50 degrees!!!

Looks great! I am sure that you will enjoy that when the cold temps arrive and the snow is flying.

If it drafts well at 50°-60°… Then lookout when it really gets Cold....!!!

Thanks guys for the feedback. Sure cant wait till this weekend to try her out. That room is the best room in the house and all the company love it, the rest of the house has been remodeled except that room the guy that lived there before me wanted to leave some of the original character of the house and Im glad he did. Its an awsome room to start a fire sit in one of those chairs and have a beer after a long week. You cant see it in the pic but as you enter the room on the right theres a door that goes into our bedroom so our room should get toasty with this bigger insert.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Well I couldnt help myself, I went ahead and had a break in fire tonight with an outside temp of 66 degrees. I loaded up some really small ash splits ( man theres alot of room in the firebox ) and used a fire starter and she caught fire and drafted beautifully. I think I might of had my first and second break in fire in one ( how can you really be sure how much wood will burn for 20 minutes at 250 degrees) It burned for about 45 minutes and smoked like heck from the paint and oils from the manufacturing process, it did get hot enough for the blower to kick on but who cares at least I know it works. This is going to be a very interesting heating season going from a 1.3 cf firebox to this, Im going to be scared to fill her up.

Well I did another break in fire last night and this time I let her rip. It was no chore to get the stove top to an easy 650 degrees with four medium size ash splits. It stayed at 650 for two hours before it started to drop then the stove top stayed at 450 for another hour and then started to drop. All in all I got four hours of heat off four splits and the fire box was about 1/4 full after that I pulled the plug on the blower that was still blowing heat. My old stove would have died after two hours. Im so glad I up graded.

This is my first stove with a big fire box (2.3 cf) so I have a question.

Question: If I got the stove top up to 650 degrees with the fire box only being a quarter full when I really pack it this winter will I have over firing issues? Keep in mind Im new to a good stove. Im thinking a full load of wood means I have to let it go wide open for longer because you have to let the wood get to the gass off state and by then the stove top might be 800 or so before I start to close the air down. Any tip or pointers would be awsome.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 146
You will be running this insert differently, closing off the air earlier and packing the splits tighter. Bigger splits also help modulate the burn.

I regularly have a stove top reading of 650-700. Check your manual for what temp is considered overfire. I think mine is around 825, but I really do not like getting above 700. Sometimes it just cranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.