Osburn 2000 vs PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elminno

Mar 12, 2016
Slovakia
I need to make a decision between getting Osburn 2000 and PE Super 27. I have never had a stove before, just an open fireplace, and these two simply seem like twins to me. Similar size, burn times, design etc. I am leaning towards the Osburn as it comes with an ash tray, legs instead of a stand which I prefer and I even like the seller more than the seller of the PE. The PE seems to have more coverage online, but is more expensive and I am not sure if there is a huge difference between these too. The seller of the PE naturally considers Osburn a piece of junk... Could anyone recommend one over the other? I need it to heat our new home, around 1800sq feet, two storeys (1000+800), about 300sqf of open space between storeys.

I had no idea these stoves were available in Slovakia.

Don't they both come with either a pedestal or legs?

How do their reburn setups compare durability wise? If the super 27 is the same as the summit(I believe it is) it's an extremely robust design as far as jamming it full and not damaging tubes/baffles and things.

Internally they are not twins. The Osburn is a good tube secondary stove. The Super 27 (and classic and spectrum) have a unique firebox baffle that contains the secondary ports, baffle and insulation cover in a stainless steel box. It is an easy breathing stove with this arrangement which could be helpful if the chimney is on the short side. The other big difference is that the Osburn secondary air is unregulated. The Super27 series stove have a coupled secondary air control that works proportionate to the primary air. These features combined give the Super 27 an excellent burn time.

Reactions: Viking59
Internally they are not twins. The Osburn is a good tube secondary stove. The Super 27 (and classic and spectrum) have a unique firebox baffle that contains the secondary ports, baffle and insulation cover in a stainless steel box. It is an easy breathing stove with this arrangement which could be helpful if the chimney is on the short side. The other big difference is that the Osburn secondary air is unregulated. The Super27 series stove have a coupled secondary air control that works proportionate to the primary air. These features combined give the Super 27 an excellent burn time.

Thanks for the response. The chimney will be about 26 feet, straight, no elbows. As I understand it, the Osburn has stainless steel tubes + some sort of galvanized (or something like that) top while the Super 27 is all stainless steel at the top of the burn chamber. And the PE has regulated secondary air input. These are the main differences? Are they important enought that you would definitely not recommend the Osburn?.

Osburn (SBI) makes good stoves. They have an excellent reputation.

Osburn owners will encourage the Osburn. PE users will encourage the Super. That's probably how close they are.

Having said that, I'm in the Super 27 camp. I like the controllability that the air control system provides and the baffle/secondary system as well. It's unique and well proven and leaves little to complain about. Just my opinion.

That thing about fragility of the tubes is a valid one. I think that the tubes in most stoves are fine, but I have heard of some damage when wood is jammed in there. The PE baffle, I believe, is much more robust than the tubes. You just have to be a little more careful with the tubes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.