Osburn Hybrid 45 strong smoky smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JordanFrame

Oct 19, 2017
South Salem, NY
Hi, I recently purchased my Osburn hybrid 45 2006 used pellet stove from a neighbor. I set up the stove, vented properly, etc and it is working okay, but it is producing a pretty smokey wood smell, which my wife is not happy about. We have a Quadra-Fire insert that does not produce the smell. I have done the clean-out of the chamber behind the left wall, and have resealed the exhaust vent on the back, but still the strong smell. Exhaust and other fans seem to be working fine. Wondering what else could be resulting in the smell. Possibly the chamber front glass not making a good seal?

I thought perhaps adding an outside air kit could help, not sure, but the opening on the back where it attaches seems to just lead to the open back of the stove, not to a fan or any other enclosed area, so I am concerned that it would be akin to just opening a hole in the wall and letting cold air flow in. Is there perhaps something in the kit that addresses this?

I have not seen a outside air kit that automatically blocks wind from coming in when not in use.. just have to shut your damper...
I would say you may have a door leak. That's the only time I smell anything is when I open door

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk