1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Oslo air supply

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ColdNH, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Still trying to figure out the steep learning curve of this thing.

Those of you with Oslo's, do you shut your air down completely when you’re in cruise control mode?

I have found 1/4" open seems to work the best for me, seems like every time i close the air more than that, the fire starts to die down.

With that said my wood is questionable at best. working with 18-22% moisture oak and cherry.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    1/4 to all the way closed . . . as you say . . . it's all about the fuel . . . well that and the draft and how hot the firebox is.
  3. On my firelight I kept it at about 1/4.
  4. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    ok 2 votes for 1/4, so im not doing anything crazily wrong here. On my napoleon i was able to shut-r down completly and it would cruise along perfectly. that stove was a cake walk to run in comparason to this oslo.
  5. Michael Golden

Michael Golden Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cambridge, Ohio
    I'm with you on on the poor wood supply, but its burning pretty good. I leave the air open a quarter also as it seems to keep the stove cruising. I can't wait for next year and having drier wood to burn as this is my first year burning!

Mike
  6. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    You should be able to shut it right down if your wood is properly seasoned. I am running the 600 and shut her down provided the secondaries continue to burn. I am not too concerned if the primary fire burns low.
  7. eyefish2

eyefish2 New Member

Loc:
    UP Mi
    I have an Oslo and typically cut the air to 1/4 or less (not closed). I have found that I am best off not doing this until I reach 450 degrees F plus on the stove top temp. If I cut the air back prior to this (say 350-400), my front glass will tend to get dirty. I burn oak and do not know what the moisture is.