Hearthstone 8492 too much draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andrew V

Nov 28, 2013
Rochester NY
Moved into a new house and had an 8492 installed. 23’ insulated liner, wood moisture 10-12 white ash.

My old stove was the alderlea t5 so going to this cat stove was a little bit of a curve.

What I’m running into is I feel that draft may be too good and when I go to shut the air control down it does engage the secondaries but the front port doesn’t seem to slow down. I’ll try and attach a video.

This was installed on Wednesday this week and I have been reading a lot and have the cat side of things figured out

Attachments

• IMG_0712.mov
    13.5 MB
Found out I have the open port on top….

image.jpg

If that hole in top isn't plugged with an Allen screw, that's the same problem I had. Luckily I found my screw sitting inside the box stuck in a crevice. Contact your vendor and tell them you need Hearthstone to send you a new one. Agree with Scott that it's hard to tell, but I've seen mine blow pretty good like that even with the air control closed down. But if your cat temp isn't coming down then you may have a problem, which is likely related to the open port. Also, I found that my cat probe was all over the place for the first couple of weeks.

If that hole in top isn't plugged with an Allen screw, that's the same problem I had. Luckily I found my screw sitting inside the box stuck in a crevice. Contact your vendor and tell them you need Hearthstone to send you a new one. Agree with Scott that it's hard to tell, but I've seen mine blow pretty good like that even with the air control closed down. But if your cat temp isn't coming down then you may have a problem, which is likely related to the open port. Also, I found that my cat probe was all over the place for the first couple of weeks.
Thanks, I ran to Lowe’s and got a set screw 5/16-18 that fit. It seems to be running a little better with the screw in there now. Car temps have been good.