Oslo hearth pad requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clodhopper

Nov 14, 2009
NE PA
I was reading with interest the other hearth pad thread (I forget what stove it was for) which made me wonder about the Oslo specs. When I installed the first Oslo in December I build a raised hearth, and installed a sheet of Micor under the durock because the Jotul dealer told me that was a requirement. Now that I am getting ready to put in the second one I looked at the owners manual, and from what I can tell the Micor sounds like it is unnecessary. This stove is going to be installed at floor level, either on tile over Durock, or flagstone over either durock, or possibly sheet metal if height is an issue.

Is my interpretation of this excerpt from the manual correct, in that I do not need a half inch layer of Micor? Thanks

4.1 Floor Protection
Floor protection under the stove must be constructed of a non-
combustible material for protection from radiant heat, sparks,
and embers.
Individual sections of floor protection must be mortared
together to prevent sparks from falling through to combustible
materials. Any carpeting must be removed from under the floor
protection.
In the U.S. and Canada
The Jøtul F 500 must be installed on a non-combustible surface
extending:
A minimum of 18” (457mm) in front of the stove and the left side
load door (measured from the legs).
And 8” (200mm) on the right side and back of the stove (measured
from side and back panels).
This will result in a minimum floor protection of
54,25”W X 50,5”D.(1378mm x 1283mm) See figure 8.
In a rear vent installation the floor protection must also extend
under the stove pipe a minimum of 2” (50mm) beyond either
side of the pipe.
Alternate hearth protection
A hearth pad measuring 46”wide X 50,5” deep
(1168mmx1283mm)can be used only if the left side door is locked to
prevent use. Door Lock Kit #155850 is available for this purpose.
the stove.

No, just ember protection will do unless this is an alcove installation. Their alcove requirements are stiffer. Perhaps that is what he was referring to?

When we built our hearth we laid in 2 layers of durock and have brick on top.....

We did this with the idea in mind that we may put in a different stove some day and having a 1.0 r value just may keep us from having to tear out the hearth and rebuild...

HOWEVER, knowing my luck over the years Mr. Murphy would get involved somehow....

getting ready to help my SIL install an Oslo, and we found the "ember protection" was all that's needed was pretty easy after what we had to do, but that's all you need. She is going to build to a 1.5r value, just in case she changes stoves at some point.

As mentioned by many . . . only ember protection is needed except perhaps for an alcove installation . . . I double checked myself after reading the manual with a call in to my dealer. For the record, I still opted to use a sheet of Durock covered in slate . . . figured it would give me a bit more for thermal protection . . . cheap peace of mind.

firefighterjake said:
As mentioned by many . . . only ember protection is needed except perhaps for an alcove installation . . . I double checked myself after reading the manual with a call in to my dealer. For the record, I still opted to use a sheet of Durock covered in slate . . . figured it would give me a bit more for thermal protection . . . cheap peace of mind.

+1 - also helps with longevity of the hearth as well

Status
Not open for further replies.