Our insert is in--how best to clean the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newwoodinsert

Sep 28, 2011
Rochester, NY
Okay, guys, the insert is in, and we are suffering through not-so-good wood (I know, I know...). We've got 4 fc that has been down a year but only recently split. We'll be getting another 6 fc that was down and split a year ago. All mixed hardwoods. So, I know we're going to need to inspect and clean regularly.

We relined our masonry chimney and 13 ft of flex liner plus 2 ft of chimney extension at the top. We have a Lopi Revere insert, but our setup is very similar to that of a hearth stove. The insert is accessible from behind, one side, and obviously the front. (I'll try to post pics later.) My question is esp. for those who have cleaned inserts. What is the best way to do this? Do we have to do it top-down? Do we have to detach the insert?

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!!!!

I remove the top baffle and secondary burn tubes and do a top down cleaning, all the buildup falls inside the firebox making for an easy cleanup. You can get the rods and brush at a local ACE or Lowes.

Some people find really flexible cleaning rods and do a bottom up cleaning after removing the baffle, I have not tried this yet, I do not get that much snow in my region to worry about it.

Liner stays attached.

Also if you are doing this while burning buy a metal bucket and put your hot coals in that and store it outside while cleaning the chimney, since I do top down all I do is wait for the insert to cool down (once I have removed the hot coals) to about 100-200 put gloves on to remove the baffle and pipes, do my cleaning then put the baffle and pipes back in and put the coals back in on top of the creosote and start her up again.

With the revere all you need to do is open the bypass, and brush from above. Use a poly brush, and keep the door closed. You will need to get a flexible brush to fit between the stovetop and the baffle. There you will find fly ash building up, you only need to worry about this once year though. Do you know if the liner is attached to the stove top, if so, no worries about dislodging the liner. On the Lopi stoves you do not want to start taking anything apart in the top, it can be a bear to put back if you don't know how it all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.