Our Iris Collection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
The first to bloom every year. These are more like the wild type of iris. They were handed down to us from my mom, handed down to her from her mom. Mom said Grandma called them Blue Flags. They are darker blue/less purple than the picture shows:
IMG_7650%20(800x600).jpg

The more common kind:
IMG_7682%20(800x600).jpg

Much less common, the deep purple ones. Way more purple actually than this bluish picture shows:
IMG_7717%20(800x600).jpg

Yellow and sort of tan:
IMG_7712%20(800x600).jpg

Very nice specimens!! We had some very similar to the second photo and I totally forgot about them when doing some excavation in the autumn!! I hope they are popping up somewhere each spring! Some of our favorite springtime flowers.

Beautiful, Quads. I love Iris. I have the Iris sibirica pictured in your first shot ("Caesar's Brother) in huge stands around the property. I like to use the seed heads in wintertime dried arrangements and that means that I have tons of "volunteers"!

I also have the Iris germanica pictured in #3 and #4, the latter being a particular favorite of mine. Both of those are very old-fashioned varieties. You can tell by the "striping" on the falls (the lower part of the blossom) and there is also a faint purple streaking at the bases of the fans. Older varieties of Iris germanica have falls that drop down quite vertically; new varieties have "falls" that stand out and away from the blossoms. Look at the photo below and you will see immediately.

This is a very old variety that smells heavenly! and it's a good deal more "blue" than the photo shows. It's a favorite and looks dynamite with Peony, "Sarah Bernhardt" and Papaver "Victoria Louise" (poppy). I have a ton of them and division is in the future. If you would like some and remind me I'll happily send you some rhizomes in August.

387800982.gif

Some of the 300 we deadheaded last year.

Attachments

• C5RS.jpg
    C5RS.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 334
Bobbin said:
Beautiful, Quads. I love Iris. I have the Iris sibirica pictured in your first shot ("Caesar's Brother) in huge stands around the property. I like to use the seed heads in wintertime dried arrangements and that means that I have tons of "volunteers"!

I also have the Iris germanica pictured in #3 and #4, the latter being a particular favorite of mine. Both of those are very old-fashioned varieties. You can tell by the "striping" on the falls (the lower part of the blossom) and there is also a faint purple streaking at the bases of the fans. Older varieties of Iris germanica have falls that drop down quite vertically; new varieties have "falls" that stand out and away from the blossoms. Look at the photo below and you will see immediately.

This is a very old variety that smells heavenly! and it's a good deal more "blue" than the photo shows. It's a favorite and looks dynamite with Peony, "Sarah Bernhardt" and Papaver "Victoria Louise" (poppy). I have a ton of them and division is in the future. If you would like some and remind me I'll happily send you some rhizomes in August.

387800982.gif
Wow! That one is really pretty Bobbin! I don't know a lot about them, but I think they are cool. Now that they are starting to bloom, and of course I had camera in hand, I decided to take some pictures. Some years we don't get any blossoms at all, but I never have figured out why. Late frost maybe. But this year is going to be a bumper crop! They grow all over the place especially photos 1 and 2. My method of controlling them is the lawnmower! Same way I control the lilacs that sprout up in the middle of the yard.

Retired Guy said:
Some of the 300 we deadheaded last year.
Awesome! And so neat. Mine keep the weeds company!

Beautiful Iris guys. I have a few and add a new type this year. I'll post a pictue when it comes up. The flower lady at work gave it to me. I don't remember the variety.

It is amazing how strong those plants are. I don't think you can kill them! My wife has had plenty over the years and there have been some times when I haven't treated them all that well. One time I dug a hole right in where the plants were. They came up the next year just fine!

Simply gorgeous, Quads! I've never seen a tan Iris.

Shari

Great close up shots.

Thanks! I love my Canon point-n-shoot!

We don't have large groups of iris, except for Japanese iris which are past blooming now. But we do have some nice individuals that are happy. Wet today, so here they are in their slickers.

Attachments

• IMG_0273web.jpg
    IMG_0273web.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0267web.jpg
    IMG_0267web.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 181
Really nice! I especially like the light blue ones.

wood spliter said:
Here are my 2 variety's.
Very nice, the second one has an unusual form. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.