Out with really old open insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomseal6

Burning Hunk
Aug 21, 2019
MI
I have a licensed contractor doing the work but the finished product will he a surprise for everybody. I picked up the air tight insert nearly 2 years ago and I'm pretty sure will he a beaut once installed. This is in my kitchen.

I have a Fisher Grandpa Bear in my living room / dining room area

Here's a few pics of removal

20210707_142331.jpg 20210707_154149.jpg 20210707_164025.jpg

Reactions: moresnow
I had the same question based on the pictures. It looked pretty solid. Now I am concerned about what is intended to go in there and whether it will be safe or to code.

Sorry, but we need to sleep with a clear conscience. This is not safe for installation if there are not two full courses of brick completely surrounding the insert.

Yes, the materials were just dropped off today on pallets
But I still don't understand why you would have pulled the heatform. Why not just install the insert in the heatform? You would have to cut the throat out to allow the liner to pass thru but otherwise no need to remove it

Reactions: tomseal6
Either it was part of it or rusted/burned through. The new fire proof insulation came on the truck too.

Either it was part of it or rusted/burned through. The new fire proof insulation came on the truck too.
What insulation for where? To do this safely you now need to rebuild that fireplace back to a code compliant fireplace. Then install a properly sized and insulated liner running from the insert out the top of the chimney.

I don't understand what you mean by either it was part of it or rusted/burned out.

The old heat form is burned through around the top. Can't you see burn marks in the brick? As of right now there are 2 courses of brick on the sides. New heat insulation and shielding around the flu is being put it, old was removed.

I hope this explains it

Last edited:
The old heat form is burned through around the top. Can't you see burn marks in the brick? As of right now there are 2 courses of brick on the sides. New heat insulation and shielding around the flu is being put it, old was removed.

I hope this explains it
Is the insert getting a full insulated liner?

Full heat insulation, yes

Here is the old open insert completely removed and outside in the scrap pile

20210708_114118.jpg 20210708_114107.jpg 20210708_114102.jpg

As I mentioned, I am having a contractor do the work. He is getting all the materials.

Attachments

• 20210708_120606.jpg
    20210708_120606.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 168
As I mentioned, I am having a contractor do the work. He is getting all the materials.
Ok but does the contractor actually know what he is doing? From what I am seeing it is questionable.

It's to my understanding that he is going 2 course brick and double steel lining and will re insulate. He is going to flush mount the face of the stove front.

I think there may be some miscommunication going on here. It is my understanding that @bholler is asking whether the steel liner going through the chimney will be insulated (b/c that may be needed to be up to code given the close clearances likely present).

I think there may be some miscommunication going on here. It is my understanding that @bholler is asking whether the steel liner going through the chimney will be insulated (b/c that may be needed to be up to code given the close clearances likely present).
Well that and is there even a stainless liner going in

Good to hear that there is double brick all the way around. The existing flue should be thoroughly cleaned before proceeding with the installation of the insulated stainless steel liner to the insert.

There is literally soon going to be nothing left of the old heat form. It is falling apart.

I do not believe this grandpa bear dimensioned insert would fit right in without tearing out the entire old system

My contractor has built some beautiful northern Michigan homes that are still standing. I am anticipating this winter with confidence

My contractor has built some beautiful northern Michigan homes that are still standing. I am anticipating this winter with confidence
Ok but building beautiful homes doesn't mean he knows a thing about properly installing an insert. He may as well. But the way he is going about it from what I can see is not the way I or any other chimney pros I know would do it. Because of that it makes me question his knowledge in this field.

If the heatform actually did need to come out there is no need to tear out the whole throat of the fireplace. The heatform can pretty easily be cut into pieces and removed through the existing opening.

Is he going to install a full insulated stainless liner?

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
Well today I picked up some flexible dryer hose for the flu to chimney connected to a Hvac fitting

Getting excited for winter. Who's coming over for hot chocolate and Kaluah?

Attachments

• 20210709_185343.jpg
    20210709_185343.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 20210709_185350.jpg
    20210709_185350.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Wow
Reactions: stoveliker
Well today I picked up some flexible dryer hose for the flu to chimney connected to a Hvac fitting
You are kidding, right?