Out with the old . in with the new??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WASPKFD

Nov 3, 2013
Iowa
HEY guys been a long time, I was here years ago while installing a buck 28000 stove, AMAZING MACHINE!! LOVED IT TO DEATH!!
When I was buying my home the home was self-insured by the owned, I have since paid off the home and have a real problem insuring the stove due to being NON-UL listed.
I have since been looking at the newer epa UL approved stoves BUT it seems they are all 6" outlet. My Buck has an 8" as is my flue.
Questions
Do they make a wood stove for 8" and UL
or can I buy a 6" stove and adapt to the 8" legally
I have about 6 feet of 8" stainless thru a cathedral box.. no attic
Thank you for any help.

Not sure if the other stoves listed here made the latest emissions laws. They do discuss upsizing the flue.

Buck has one, BK and and is there a big Regency or is it Osborn?

What is the total height stove top to cap?

Welcome back. There are some large stoves that have 8" flue outlets, and with a straight-up flue system, some 6" outlet stoves will work well too. What's the budget and how large of an area is the stove heating?

THANX for all the info!!!
.Stove top to cap is about 13 ft....The stainless runs about 4 feet above the roof..
Thanx for the info on the BK IM liking it .
The home is about 1800sq.
The reason for the stove is when they added the 2 additions on to the home they did not run any HVAC. The first winter we had the home we ran electric heat lol we froze to death hahah.
The stove will be in the one of the 300sq additions (living room) with 2 entry points plenty of air flow,,
since I'm in the country I'm not near any fire stations and they put me at a 10 risk.
I read in their policy they will not insure a stove with a 10 risk...
Ive asked my agent about a wood stove, before I bought the policy and he never said I couldn't have a stove.... so I guess I need to clarify on Monday. and if that's the case I need a new insurance company.

Reactions: moresnow
THANX for all the info!!!
.Stove top to cap is about 13 ft....The stainless runs about 4 feet above the roof..
Thanx for the info on the BK IM liking it .
The home is about 1800sq.
The reason for the stove is when they added the 2 additions on to the home they did not run any HVAC. The first winter we had the home we ran electric heat lol we froze to death hahah.
The stove will be in the one of the 300sq additions (living room) with 2 entry points plenty of air flow,,
since I'm in the country I'm not near any fire stations and they put me at a 10 risk.
I read in their policy they will not insure a stove with a 10 risk...
Ive asked my agent about a wood stove, before I bought the policy and he never said I couldn't have a stove.... so I guess I need to clarify on Monday. and if that's the case I need a new insurance company.
Chances are you will need a new insurance company. Don't just go by what your agent tells you. They are just a salesman and will have very little to do with a claim if you ever need it.

That being said that old buck is an extremely primative stove that is extremely inefficient. Blaze king regency and buck all have 8" stoves but most will also need a taller chimney. What is the condition of your 8" stack? They do have a limited lifespan and it may be time to replace yours anyway

Any chance your current insurance is with Farm Bureau? Sayin hello from NE IA.

According to the manual, the big Regency F5200 will work on a 12" chimney, and Highbeam has his Princess on a 13' stack I think. I know the PE Summit will also work on a 12' flue system.

Reactions: bholler
Any chance your current insurance is with Farm Bureau? Sayin hello from NE IA.
nope.. its state auto.. Ill know more when I talk with "insurance salesman" do u suggest Farm Bureau?

According to the manual, the big Regency F5200 will work on a 12" chimney, and Highbeam has his Princess on a 13' stack I think. I know the PE Summit will also work on a 12' flue system.
awesome thanx for this.. I did not realize some required a flue height

Btw the last time I had a question on insurance STATE AUTO said that I could only deal with the insurance agent

Btw the last time I had a question on insurance STATE AUTO said that I could only deal with the insurance agent
Yes many have that policy. But ask your agent to go over the applicable sections in your policy to make sure that
1. They know what they are talking about.

And 2. They are not just telling you what you want to hear to keep you happy as a customer.

Your may infact be very good and give you the proper information. But I have seen to many that don't.

As noted previously, chimney pipe doesn't last forever. And, pipe insulating properties have improved over the past 15 years.

As for length, I did build a 6" elevated hearth, my slip joint double wall compensated for the raised hearth, so now it's 14'6". Runs good but I also have really nice pipe.

Can't mention brand, sorry.

WELL Insurance man did confirm that the insurer would not cover the wood stove ,, lmao we talked about this before the policy,
So next up. what insurance company would you suggest? Im in the country and 5 miles from fire dept and we are on a well. lol couple of strikes I guess lol... Thnx for any help!

Ask your neighbors who they use.

I’m with liberty mutual and my independent broker for my company said he could easily place me too.

Allstate was pretty easy for us.

State Farm covers mine. Just had to show permit and inspection report.

THANX GUYS!! Ill be doing some calling this weekend..

Find an independent agent. Let them find the company that will write a policy.