outdoor biomax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stubbledlpd

Feb 20, 2008
NW Ontario
anyone using the outdoor biomax or have an opinion on the shed the boiler is in? I live in a cooler climate and am concerned about heat loss on a poorly insulated shed. the other side of the coin is that it seems like a good stepping stone until I get the time to build a proper shed for the boiler with additional heat storage.
looking forward to your comments

Welcome to the Boiler Room, stubble.

I don't think anyone here has the outdoor Biomax, but we do have a couple members with the indoor versions. My understanding is that the importer, New Horizon Corp, is waiting on a shipment of Biomaxs from Poland, and then when it arrives, there will be a much larger installed base.

As to the outdoor version, you pay a pretty hefty premium compared to the indoor incarnation, so I suspect it's pretty well insulated. I believe the outdoor boiler also includes hot water storage onboard. Not sure but it much be as much as 500 gallons. If I were you, I'd call Zenon Pawlowski at New Horizon and ask him for some details.

I'll give Zenon a call in the next few days. thought I would save myself the hassle of building a shed and putting in storage this year. just being lazy
thanks for the quick replies and I'm amazed at the amount of information available on this site

planning on putting a biomax 40 80' from house in insulated 10'x10' shed under an 18'x20' carport for wood storage.the town I live in requires me to get a permit to install any type of wood stove,boiler etc. I'm not totally sure about them not calling this install an out door boiler and making me put an 18'to 24' stack.Are their any epa test results for this unit?

Welcome to the Boiler Room, wrench340. I don't think there are any EPA test results for the Biomax. Last I heard, the only two gasification boilers tested (and passed) were the Garn and the Econoburn. And I'm not sure what the current law is in NY for outdoor instllations. Technically, the Biomax is an indoor boiler, so it may not be subject to the same restrictions as an OWB. However, there is some tricky language in the new regs that might create an issue for you. The regs are around here somewhere--I just don't have time at the moment to dig them up.

I've pretty much found out that I'll be at the mercy of the codes enforcer and committee. Hopefully I can convince them to let me add to the stack only if needed. Thanks for the reply

update,I decided to go with an eko 40 with 300 gallon storage. I got around the towns outdoor boiler rules by putting the eko in an 8X12 insulated building. The building is 80' from the house.Inside the house I built a six zone manifold so I can expand my heating system,I have an 18x20 heat exchanger on my thermopride oil furnace and a sidearm exchanger on my oil fired dhw,still have to finish wiring the dhw but the plumbing is done.I am starting my learning process as its been running almost a week now. I started with round wood that I thought was dry enough but I seemed to have alot of creosote in top box,I put in some dry maple and it sealed the damper shut.I have been cutting and splitting some ash and cherry that's been in log piles for eighteen months, hope its dry enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.