1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Outdoor cooking?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Badfish740, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

So who resorts to outdoor cooking as the weather gets warmer? We have a small house that's not terribly well insulated so keeping it cool in the warm weather (we hit 93 yesterday :eek:) is an ongoing battle as it is. The kitchen is on the south side of the house so once you get the stove (even one burner) going in the late afternoon/early evening it just makes a bad situation worse. We don't even think about using the oven. We've been coming up with more and more inventive ways of using the grill but I was thinking of taking it to the next level and maybe purchasing one (or two) of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cast...ts&Ntt=stove&WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

The single burners are about $45-a double can be had for $65 or so, but they're only 15K BTU-there are larger double burners that are 35K BTU each for about $100. If we want to use the burner to heat water for corn on the cob, steamers, heat oil for making wings, or to make a pot of beans, etc...would a 15K burner be ok or would we need something larger? Anyway, what do you make in the summertime outside? Do you stick to the grill, use a smoker, outdoor pit, etc...? Let's see it!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    As soon as it warms up I can't wait to get out to fire up the BBQ. Going to convert it to nat gas this year - can't believe how much the price of propane has gone up.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    So Bert, I see you changed your name. Been wondering where you went.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I try to grill as much as I can. I can cook an entire meal on it (meat, veggies, and taters).
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I use the Big Green Egg all winter long. When I used a Broil King
    LP grill, I did the same, just not for long durations, due to LP costs.
    With the BGE, I just set it & pretty much forget it. Ribs. Briskets.
    Tri-Tip steaks. You name it. Yeah, it was costy, but we have an ole
    feller up on the Taborton mountain that makes & sells hardwood
    lump charcoal & it's fairly inexpensive....
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I am in the beginning stages of making an outdoor cob oven. I am really looking forward to using it for pizza, bread, baked beans and casseroles. Otherwise Weber grill with charcoal all year round. I always wanted a BGE.
  7. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    His avatar freaks my kids out.;lol
  8. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    BIG
    GREEN
    EGG!

pork loin
    DSC00050.JPG

[​IMG]

beer can chicken
    DAKSY likes this.
  9. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Where are you at that it hit 93 degrees? I will say that after all of the time, energy, and labor I put into keeping the house toasty in the winter, I have no problem flipping the central AC on when needed. Very efficient system, not so on the the home.

However, I as well love cooking outside. Grill gets used all year. Have been cooking on the firepit quite often also. Nothing beats grilling on a hardwood fire.

KC