Outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teem

Nov 3, 2008
Vermont
Hello,
I'm running an Ashley 5500Xl pellet stove. I have it drawing cold outside air. My house is very old and far from airtight. If I drew the, presumably warmer, air from inside the house, would my heat output increase? As I said, with the older, less than airtight home, I'm sure draft would not be a problem. Any thoughts.....?
Thanx!

Take it from someone who also has an old drafty house......run the OAK! lol If you run without it the stove will simply suck more cold air in through every leak your house already has making your house more drafty and ultimately colder.

Go with OAK. Last night the fire truck was on our street because of so much wood smoke, some one thought a house was on fire. Never smelled smoke in our house, now that is new.

I say go with the outside air kit. Here's why:

My house is by no means tight. I did have replacement
windows installed four years ago, but the house was
built in the 50's so....

I recently installed an outside air intake and it
makes a big difference. Prior to, I always noticed
a cold draft moving across the floor. Sometimes
the room where the stove is would be 78 degrees
but my feet would be cold due to that draft.
HUGE difference now. No more draft. No more cold
feet. If I ever install another stove in this house
or another it will be with outside air from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.