outside chimney - duravent or tech or plus ? double - triple wall confused

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedriver

Feb 12, 2014
Nelson township Ohio
we may soon be moving and need to get a through the wall 6" outside chimney about 20' long. duravent seems to be a good product but, not sure what product would be best for exposed outside chimney. I have seen on this forum that 2 wall insulates better then 3 wall . I am a bit confused. could someone please help with the proper info so I can make the correct choice

Yes double wall insulated class a is a better product than the triple wall stuff

Reactions: Highbeam
DuraTech is the name of the double-wall product. It's good and what we have for a chimney.

It's clear thanks to BeGreen and others that DuraTech (double wall) is better than DuraPlus (triple wall) due to two main reasons:

(1) DuraTech has thicker / more insulation
(2) DuraTech has a smaller footprint (i.e. Takes up less space). DuraTech 8-inch diameter = 10-inch total diameter. DuraPlus 8-inch diameter = 12-inch total diameter.

My question is this - if the ZC installation manual (Heat n Glo Northstar) specifies 'DuraPlus' as a chimney pipe option, can I use 'DuraTech' instead and still be up to specs / code?

Thanks for your help.
Matt

My question is this - if the ZC installation manual (Heat n Glo Northstar) specifies 'DuraPlus' as a chimney pipe option, can I use 'DuraTech' instead and still be up to specs / code?
nope you have to use what they want you to use. And DuraPlus is not a bad product duratech is just better,

I called DuraVent and spoke with a gentleman who was very helpful with what to use for my situation and why ( DuraTech ), along with more do's and don'ts, it all sounds correct to me now . I believe it is a very good product that will work well for us . thank guys

I called DuraVent and spoke with a gentleman who was very helpful with what to use for my situation and why ( DuraTech ), along with more do's and don'ts, it all sounds correct to me now . I believe it is a very good product that will work well for us . thank guys
So the rep from duravent told you to disregard the instruction from the fireplace? I am curious if heat n glo gave him authorization to do that. I would call heat n glo and check with them. They have final say

Since when does a stove manufacturer have "final say"over what a homeowner does? If it meets the draft requirements and local fire codes, that's it. The manufacturer can recommend all they want. They have no authority over the matter.

Since when does a stove manufacturer have "final say"over what a homeowner does? If it meets the draft requirements and local fire codes, that's it. The manufacturer can recommend all they want. They have no authority over the matter.
Well since manufacturers instructions trump code if you go against their instructions you cant meet code

If heat n glow's engineering and legal department determine or opine that a condition would compromise the safety and safe use of their equipment there's few code inspectors that would sign off on a unsafe condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.