OutSide Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captkirk5858

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2009
Northern Vermont
You would think that these big Box Stores would figure it out. Hd for instance... With the truck loads of Pellets that they sell every year they should Figure it's easier to put them inside than have to DEAL with un-happy customers...

I just put away a Ton of Freedom Fuel. of course it was outside. of course it's been raining...

out 0f 50 bags..... 13 are ruined. thats a 25% waste.

Now I have to haul them back to the store to get replacements. (BTW thats 50 minutes one way)

Just My Rant for the night...

As a dealer that stores outside I always tell the customers I deliver to that if there is a bad bag call us and I will drive out with replacements or credit. Today the trusses go up on the new storage building though so every thing gets to go inside and stay nice and dry.

samm6 said:
You would think that these big Box Stores would figure it out. Hd for instance... With the truck loads of Pellets that they sell every year they should Figure it's easier to put them inside than have to DEAL with un-happy customers...

I just put away a Ton of Freedom Fuel. of course it was outside. of course it's been raining...

out 0f 50 bags..... 13 are ruined. thats a 25% waste.

Now I have to haul them back to the store to get replacements. (BTW thats 50 minutes one way)

Just My Rant for the night...

samm6, When you buy a pallet from the bigbox, Always check them before heading home. Specially if the pallet cover looks damaged. They will usually unload the skid right into the vehicle for you. Get the damage replace right then and there. Just my 2 cents worth! But a rant is allowed to ya! Sucks double hauling.

BTU said:
Guess that HD super buy wasn't so super after all huh?
But at this point you have probably already figured that out....
Any dealer worth his salt is gonna give you the credit, unless they were fine when you bought them and you were the one to get them wet, which I'm guessing isn't the case here..

My point is, when is the buying public going to get it?....buy your paint, light bulbs and screw drivers from the boxes, but when it comes to pellets, stoves and someone who knows what the hell they are doing in that regard....buy from a proper dealer....you will will probably enjoy that stove more and I bet in the long run be a happier camper to boot....just my $.02 worth and I know some won't agree with me on this, but there are things the boxes really shouldn't mess with and pellets are one of them....

What?????
This coming from a guy who once sold to the box store(BJ's) at one point? Oh my!

I hear what you are saying, But in todays economy we gotta save somewhere. If done carefully you can get buy with them. There are a few decent brands to be had from them. But don't expect pellet knowledge or careful handling! I personally wouldn't invest in my whole stash with them. But padding it might be good for some. Its just another option for the frugal! I still know where to go to get the cold season brands that are cared for and handled a bit better.

Some of the big box stores actually have covered storage, the only thing is they put things like concrete blocks and paver stones under cover, and leave things that shouldn't get wet out to get wet.

I agree with pyro! Found out the hard way last year.

I'll NEVER buy pellets from HD, TS. They store them outside. If they aren't stored inside I won't buy them!

samm6, When you buy a pallet from the bigbox, Always check them before heading home. Specially if the pallet cover looks damaged. They will usually unload the skid right into the vehicle for you. Get the damage replace right then and there. Just my 2 cents worth! But a rant is allowed to ya! Sucks double hauling.

Yep. I did look it over i thought pretty good. as a matter of fact i saw one that was torn and got two on the spot. just couldnt see how much was damaged until i handles it.

i have noticed the diferent ways that the plants wrap their product. The Green Teams have all been double wrapped. the LG's were actually triple wrapped.

anyway, i was hoping for just a credit. for them to say just use what u can and stop buy and get 13 more bags. ( I think i will call again and get the real manager )

Lowes stores outside but under cover... Hd could do the same thing if they utilised their space better.

Never buy pellets that were stored outside!!!!

Eric

Eric, Funny thing is most of the mills store them outside before they get loaded on the rail cars or trailers. Even some of the distribution centers store them outside until the truck is loaded to the retailer.

Both the Torrington HD and Lowes now have theres in a covered outbuilding to protect them. TSC hasn't learned yet. Outside no cover. I must be lucky, I have bought from places that did outside storage and they have been fine. But I am pretty sure they had them tarped up real tight!

I have to admit, i had 3 pallets delivered in the spring, when i got home from work I loaded them into my dry cellar. However, that didn't do much good when at least one pallet was soaked due to outer wrapping damage. Personally, I think anyone who produces/sells these things should grow a brain and store them inside, rather than piss off your customers with soaked bags or if they have dried, filled with sawdust.

j-takeman said:
Eric, Funny thing is most of the mills store them outside before they get loaded on the rail cars or trailers. Even some of the distribution centers store them outside until the truck is loaded to the retailer.

Both the Torrington HD and Lowes now have theres in a covered outbuilding to protect them. TSC hasn't learned yet. Outside no cover. I must be lucky, I have bought from places that did outside storage and they have been fine. But I am pretty sure they had them tarped up real tight!

I am always contacted by other Mills and Dealers in an attempt for them to have me sell their pellets. Most of them will admit that they store their pellets outside at some point. I do not do business with them. PERIOD, AND I THANK THEM FOR THEIR CALL.

Eric

We are all looking for the lowest prices possible for the best pellets our $ can buy. Just remember that storing a product inside versus outside costs significantly more.

Some of us don't have the luxury of storing our supply indoors after we buy it, so why should I worry if the store put it outside, when I'm just going to do the same?

The place I buy from now stores some inside and some out. On a prebuy they are dropped outside and live outside until they are picked up or delivered which isn't long. The other store stock is stored inside as much as possible. I haven't had a bad bag but one guy I know had a couple bags that had moisture in them. He called the shop and the owner delivered 4 bags to his house himself that day.

I don't think thats a bad gig... if something happened and very many bags were bad it would add up quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.