Outside storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pollywog

Apr 12, 2011
southern, NH
Hello, new here. I am starting to look at stoves. So far I am leaning towards the Harman P38+. I am also wanting to buy pellets soon at the good prices. My ? is can I leave them outside Uncovered, or maybe with a tarp? Most topics i have found regarding outside storage tend to be about suppliers. I have no real inside or covered storage. So is leaving them on the pallets with a tarp thru rain and summer humidity ok?

I wouldn't recommended it. The last thing you want with pellets is any moisture to get to them. They will turn into a wet pile of sawdust in no time. They also need ventilation, so storing them under a tarp can trap moisture from the air and ground. The bags they come in protect them pretty well, but I wouldn't rely on them.

Moisture is the pellet killer. Even if they don't get wet. They can absorb moisture. The moisture can effect the heat(BTU) value of them. The higher moisture content the lower the BTU value.

Inside storage is safer, If you have to keep them outside I'd say don't remove the factory wrap and cover them with a good tarp. Keep the tarp tight and don't let water blow underneath it and sit on the outer bag/cover. Also keep them as high as possible off the ground. Maybe even double skid. But don't be surprised if you loose some bags due to moisture. Possibly one of those tent sheds. They are reasonable and portable. Have the pellets delivered and set it up over the skids/pallets. I am looking into this option.

There was another thread on the subject here.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67697/

Status
Not open for further replies.