Outside Wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after doing some major research I have decided that my best option to most likely be radiant floor heating with a mix of radiant wall heating through a closed loop system. This wont attract any problems from my neighbors, or break any city codes as well. Apparently I will also be saving thousands of dollars on the process and it should provide an equivalent amount of heat. I am going to get some heat tests done first but what are some thoughts on this subject. I will be using PEX for the project.

The heat loss study with the door fan and examining the home is your first step.

you may just save enough by upgrading your insulation and windows and
perhaps your current boiler to a condensing boiler and get energy credits
and a low interest loan that would be less costly than a OWB.

Have your heat loass study done first then go from there.

So after doing some major research I have decided that my best option to most likely be radiant floor heating with a mix of radiant wall heating through a closed loop system. This wont attract any problems from my neighbors, or break any city codes as well. Apparently I will also be saving thousands of dollars on the process and it should provide an equivalent amount of heat. I am going to get some heat tests done first but what are some thoughts on this subject. I will be using PEX for the project.

The radiant heating stuff is a good way to heat your house. But I am not sure where the thousands of savings would come from - it would likely cost a lot to retrofit radiant heat into a house. That would also depend on your existing construction details though, and how well the person doing it knows what they're doing. And what is in the house distributing the heat likely plays little part in what might upset your neighbours and break codes - that would still come down to what you are generating the heat with. Unless I missed what you will be generating the heat with.

The HeatMaster uses some poor quality components such as cheap fans, that need to be replaced every couple of years. Check out the Polar G-Series or the Econoburn outdoor boilers for better quality build and components throughout.

care to elaborate? have you seen the G series in person? or are you just generalizing about their other line of boilers, which use your general run of the mill blower, like everyone else's?

He must be talking about the mf series boilers. The g series fans a extremely robust, Karl you would know what they use for the g series fan. The intake air damper is a honeywell control.

Who that? You guys heating houses or runnin stills up there? ::-)

Dan Holohan is a well respected author on heating with boilers for
hydronic using baseboard, radiators using hot water,
hot water gravity systems using radiators and in floor heating systems

He also has many published books on hot water heating and steam heat with
his personal experience in the plumbing business and also as a
company represenatative for B+G pumps.

He also has a web site which is www.heatinghelp.com which has a world of information
on heating with hot water and steam and othe plumbing inforamtion

The radiant heating stuff is a good way to heat your house. But I am not sure where the thousands of savings would come from - it would likely cost a lot to retrofit radiant heat into a house. That would also depend on your existing construction details though, and how well the person doing it knows what they're doing. And what is in the house distributing the heat likely plays little part in what might upset your neighbours and break codes - that would still come down to what you are generating the heat with. Unless I missed what you will be generating the heat with.

Well following further research I am saving in the vicinity of 2-3 grand after all expenses and installation, so I am still a happy camper. I am generating the heat through a water heater in a closed loop system from what I understand.

If looking for further input from here, you'd need to give info on exactly what you are doing & given quotes on, and what your research weighed it against.

And beware of salesmen & their pitches.

You need to have heat loss study done before you do anything
as that is where the rubber meets the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember once you buy that forest eater your stuck with it getting up at 3 in the morning
in snow storms and high winds feeding it. You ought to look at youtube and type outdoor
wood boilers in the search box.

Leave your wallet and check book home, be prepared for a blanket estimate with no
parts detail or parts count.

Mine was for almost 8 thousand dollars. Been there done that, tore it
up and shredded it. I can install a boiler myself for much less money using simple tools.

When you recieve estimates for installations that are more expensive than the cost of
the boiler alone you know that your not the one getting rich!!!!!!!!!!

Even using a small pellet stoker boiler with a gravity twp pipe heating system using
simple radiators will cost you much less money than the forest eater and radiant heat
and you will save a lot of money as New York State has rebate program for 47 percent of the
installation cost for a pellet stoker AND you can still install a simple hot water gravity
heating loop with no pumps for much less money leaving the pellet stoker in the basement.

Just as an example did you know that you can heat your home with 2 pounds of steam pressure,
They do the same thing to heat the Empire State building every winter in one example.

The pellet stokers cost much more than a coal stoker though and you cannot equal
the heat value of rice coal in a pound per pound basis but with the rebate you will save some money,
not a lot over 30 years compared to a coal stoker but you will save money.

Its your money and over time the banks money and they like to lend money now but
you need to have a heat loss study done as there is money available for home energy
improvements.................................................................................

Hey guys i'm back. So throughout the time I wasn't active on here I invested into a radiant underfloor heating system as i said i would. This allowed me huge savings on installation costs, and i pretty much did it myself, with the help of my buddy who's a plumber. We installed 5 loops at about 300 ft with a home run system. The system is running off of my A.O. Smith 40 gallon water heater. in total I must have paid around 400 for the tubing, 400 on heat transfer plates and other PEX accessories including tools,160 on circulator pumps and about 800 for my new water heater, and a few hundred for other accessories i'm sure im leaving out. so $3500 with installation included. So how did I do fellas? It seems to me I saved money on this project, and although i havent bumped up the thermostat too high yet, im loving the warm floors in the morning.

You will have to tell us how you did - after a few months of heating your house with it.

If you can keep you house warm all winter with a 40 gallon hot water heater, you definitely would have been into severe overkill with an OWB.

Be sure to post back with results in the coming months, including how your power bills go - interested in how it works out for you.

Is that an AO Smith electric water heater? Up here we would be paying over $1.00/ hr to run that heater....but your hydro is a lot cheaper than ours so you might be OK,

Status
Not open for further replies.