Oval chimney liner problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jaison

Dec 2, 2022
Connecticut
I have a previous post about the wood stove I just got, but in removing the old stove insert we found that the liner was oval at the bottom, and we can’t get it to fit or to re round it, most likely done to get past the flue. I’m trying to man handle the liner, it collapsed a few inches and we were unable to raise it back up. Are there any ways around this oval end here? The dealers I purchased the wood stove from said I may be able to use connectors for the bottom and connectors for the top instead of trying to raise it back up. The only issue is I’m not sure how to get the connector on the bottom.

0B1FC0A2-6941-41FF-A7B7-69058BB5558A.jpeg 10854D6E-FABC-4A28-AF73-8890B8EB9FC3.jpeg B7B952E2-7705-4129-BA29-8EF688192BC2.jpeg

I have a previous post about the wood stove I just got, but in removing the old stove insert we found that the liner was oval at the bottom, and we can’t get it to fit or to re round it, most likely done to get past the flue. I’m trying to man handle the liner, it collapsed a few inches and we were unable to raise it back up. Are there any ways around this oval end here? The dealers I purchased the wood stove from said I may be able to use connectors for the bottom and connectors for the top instead of trying to raise it back up. The only issue is I’m not sure how to get the connector on the bottom.

View attachment 305360 View attachment 305361 View attachment 305362
That looks like a pretty old liner chances are it has been heated and cooled to many times and you won't be able to get it back to round

That looks like a pretty old liner chances are it has been heated and cooled to many times and you won't be able to get it back to round
That sounds about right. The wood stove I took out was an old 1989 model Answer. Not sure how old this liner is. So is there no saving this one?

That sounds about right. The wood stove I took out was an old 1989 model Answer. Not sure how old this liner is. So is there no saving this one?
It may be possible but I don't think it's worth saving

It may be possible but I don't think it's worth saving
I don’t think so either. I’m in the process of looking for installers now that can do it relatively soon. I can’t seem to get this current liner out myself.

Reactions: bholler