Oval to round adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
I’m replacing my VC Resolute with an Enviro M55C insert. When I installed the Resolute, I lined the chimney with 6†rigid stainless down to the damper were I then needed to use a 10.35†x 4†ovalized flexible liner. Now that I am putting in a pellet stove, the connection to the stove is reduced to 4â€. I’m looking for an adaptor that will fit over the 10.35†x 4†ovalized flex and go down to the 4†diameter that I need for the pellet stove. I could try and force a 4†flexible liner inside of the ovalized flex liner, but I’m worried that the open end might get pinched and restrict the air flow.

Does anyone know were this kind of item can be found? I was able to find one, but it was $160 and it was also way to long. I have about 12†between were the vent comes out of the stove to were it would enter the ovalized flexible liner.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Your going to have to just sleeve the whole chimney, or get a custom boot made. For as cheap as you can find 4" chimney liner kits these days and the cost of custom stainless work...you may find just lining the chimney works better.

I'm assuming you went to the odd oval adapter to get past the smoke shelf. Why not just remove the oval thing and put a 6x4" or 6x3" adapter so you can snake the smaller flex past the shelf? Franks' option of doing a reline of the reline is a perfectly good option too and if the chimney height isn't too much, you can probably use 3" flex liner since it's a straight shot and very little restriction.

Yes, the oval flex tube was used to get past the smoke shelf and through the damper opening (damper assembly is allready removed) and then connects to the 6" rigid stainless that lines the rest of the chimeny all the way to the top, which about 24 feet. I think it would be a waist of money to run another 3" or 4" flex liner inside of the 6" rigid liner. In order to remove the oval flex, I would have to go up on the roof and pull up all of the rigid liner until I got to the oval flex. I did the install of the 6" rigid, and it was not fun, especialy since the back side of my house were the chimeny is has a walk out basement and that make for a long drop! Renting a Cherry Picker is would make this much easier. Since the bend through smoke shelf is not extreme, I may try and push a 24" length of 4" rigid vent in the opening of the oval liner. Since the stove has a seperate frame were the exhaust connects, I can then use rigid vent pieces to make the connection to the exhaust port. I have been told by several installers that this is acceptable as long as I pack the opening with fiberglass insulation to make it air tight and eliminate the posibility of the stove drawing the exhause back down into the house. I really want to do this the right way the first time. I hate doing stuff like this twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.