Ovalize a 6" liner or go with a 5.5"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTP11

Oct 14, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hi,

I'm a long time reader here and certainly have gotten lots of great tips from the hearth community. I've been a wood stove heater most of my life but now in a new home with a fireplace that's a perfect candidate for a Jotul C550 insert. I'm picking it up next weekend and doing the install myself.

The C550 calls for a 6" flue which I have the space in my 23' 8x13 chimney flue pipe, straight up, but I want to use the 1/2" insulation kit with the 316ti liner. They say you must add 1.5" to the liner size for 1/2" insulation. That brings the 6" liner to a 7.5" diameter. Only problem is the I.D. of my 8x13 flue pipe is 7-1/4" and because it's an older chimney there's a little shifting in there.

My question is am I going to be loosing out on efficiency by ovalizing the 6" liner slightly to fit? Or void any warranties? Would it be the same as using a 5.5" liner that I don't have to ovalize? Can a 5.5" liner be used on an insert that's suppose to be a 6"?

I have read about the poured in vermiculite but I don't like it for a few reasons.

Thanks,
JTP

I had the same issue. I chose to ovalize the entire run just a bit and install was a snap. In the end I'm not sure I needed it but the insurance was worth it. Looking back. I have more than enough draft so would have saved some time and effort by going with the 5.5 without sacrificing anything. How tall is the chimney? Mine is 30' so I didn't have an issue. If you have a short chimney then you might be fighting for all the draft you can get and the extra diameter could help.

I went with the 5.5 on a similar height chimney and have more than enough draft to feed the 30.

Matt

You could use a pre-insulated liner like Duraliner. It comes in a variety of configurations that all connect to each other so that you can go rigid and then switch to flex round or flex oval at the damper. It's OD is 6 5/8". http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=6

Status
Not open for further replies.