Ovalizing a 6" liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuckeye

Nov 18, 2006
I decided to reline my chimney for my wood insert. My question is my current flue is a rectangle 5.5" x 10.5 stainless go condition flue liner" Do I ovalize a 6" or do I ovalize a 7" ? The 7" ovalized gives a little more cross sectional square inches verses the 6" ovalized. The 6" ovalized is actually a hair smaller than a 6" round. Also I dont think insulation will fit easily..... do you? And do I need a professional cleaning before I install it?

GVA will confirm this, but be carefull if you bust a seam that liner will be useless. Its like a zipper once it stats that it it un zips and the liner is lost you would be better purchasing an oval liner in the first place, We ovalized on end a bit but had 10' to spare should it become unraveled. you might have sucess with 6" but again the liner manufacture's warranty will be vioded no matter what liner you buy

Down load the installation instructions for any liners you are interested in. READ THEM. You can order SS liner ovalized from the factories, call the stove manufacture or dealer about the size liner needed when ovalized your liner. You need to sweep, clean, repair and inspect you present chimney. Its condition after it is clean will dictate the plan for your liner.

I did call and they will ovalize round liner to what ever I need. Should I go 7" since I will lose some square inches when it becomes ovalized? It goes from 28 square inhes when round to 24 square inches when ovalized for a 6" liner and a 7" ovalized is 32 square inches. What you think?

Part of the answer may depend on how tall your flue is. If you have a flue going up the side of a two story house, or other arrangement with a long flue, you should get a pretty good draft and loosing a few square inches wouldn't hurt too much. If you have a shorter flue run, you may want to step up to the 7" to keep the cross section up and maintain draft.

Corey

Thanks so far. Its 20' from stove top to chimney top. The chimney is on exterior of my home. Brick w/ clay liner that was relined with a 5.5" x 10"5 stainless liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.