Overfeeding HR Niagra pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Interesting problem. The HR Westpoint I rebuilt overfed once in a while when the original control panel went flukey. It was a weird problem but updating to the newer tried and true DHC replacement panel fixed it for good. This Niagra is a newly designed stove. The manual for this stove shows a new control panel and not a tried and true control panel with all the bugs out.
http://hudsonriverstoves.com/pdf/niagara.pdf

Pellet Stoves need an approx 35/1 Air to Fuel mixture thru all the heat settings. Newer control boards adjust the combustion fan higher with each heat setting to maintain this proper Air/Fuel mixture. Control Panels that do not do this must have a manual damper adjustment to compensate. Normally with a good control panel, the damper needs to be set only once to compensate for the air thickness or elevation above sea level.

Any other comments?

http://maine.craigslist.org/for/3248868144.html

Hudson River Niagara pellet stove..used 2 winters..holds one bag of pellets..the dealer put a new computer in it but it still overfeeds..everything else works fine..i just want to buy a bigger pellet stove

WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW IF THERE WAS A OAK USED AND WHETHER THE HOUSE WAS TIGHT. COULD ALSO BE FAULTY COMBUSTION MOTOR OR A PLUGGED FLUE.

All stoves need the combustion air going through the burn pot and the pellet pile, check it for burn pot air bypasses (and all other possible air leaks just like that there westpoint stove).

All stoves need the combustion air going through the burn pot and the pellet pile, check it for burn pot air bypasses (and all other possible air leaks just like that there westpoint stove).

Good idea Smokey the West Point had that issue. Unfortunately unless I buy the stove, We will not know the answer to this issue. My biz is starting to ramp up for the season so not sure what is going to happen but I do have some really good priorities and goals so I sure hope things work out! Thanks so much for all your input and help, You guys are the best!

Not to steal the thread Don, but what is your business?

Exactly why I made the burnpot gasket for my stove....trying to seal-up any little leaks underneath it.

A lot of stoves have little leaks and no problems, some stoves have a few little ones and a couple not so little and they have problems.

I've noticed a number of stoves that really shouldn't have problems but due to lack of attention to detail will have problems.

Sometimes a simple tightening of fasteners is all that is needed (shipping, etc ...).

Ok, Got it. Thank you Smokey!!

WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW IF THERE WAS A OAK USED AND WHETHER THE HOUSE WAS TIGHT. COULD ALSO BE FAULTY COMBUSTION MOTOR OR A PLUGGED FLUE.

Yup, it can also be those ash traps are full of crud and things are plugged even before the flue.

Ahhhhhh looking forward to the fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.