Overfire - close call this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I got the stove going this morning like I always do with a few small splits, a couple odds & ends from the wood pile and a couple small 2x4 scraps on a hot bed of coals with the primary wide open. The 2x4 scraps were lit in no time and the fire was going. I went upstairs to eat breakfest and maybe 20 minutes later my wife said, "Do you smell that, smells like something is burning?". When got to the basement stairs all I could smell was that new stove paint burning smell. The stove pipe was reading 550 and the stove top was 700 with both climbing quickly. I cut the air all the way off and setup a fan blowing over the top of the stove. Took a few minutes but the temps came down to normal and it's burning fine now. I can't see any reason why this happened, the ash pan is closed all the way (I never use it so it's never opened), the door closes tight, the gaskets look like they are in good shape. It has been very windy and cold here though so maybe a strong gust of wind created a super draft. I may have knocked the block covering the ash hole lose too while getting some ash out this morning. Will have to check that.

One thing that caught my attention was the CO detector I have down there had a reading of 13 while this was happening. First time any of my CO detectors have ever registered a reading besides 0 so it's good to know they work.

550 is starting to push the envelope in thepipe although in my cat stove it didn/t fire off until 500. may be you hadnt "cured" it enough with the earlier burns and more of the paint was cookin off. its a good thing you caought it before it got out of hand. i've had one or two upon occassion....another good reason for quality materials and install.

cass

Yeah it's hard to tell exactly what the stove top temps are with the Rutland thermometer I have on there since it seems be somewhere between 50 to 100 degrees off but it was almost at 650 so that could be anywhere from 700 - 750 degrees on the stove and I may have never had it up that high in the 3 yeas I've had it. Not sure if this is normal but i tend to get that paint smell on the first one or two fires of the season with this stove, I guess just because it's sat so long. Very unusual though to get the smell in February when I've been burning since November. It's working fine now so I'll keep a close eye on it.

If I left my stove alone for 20 minutes with a fresh load on hot coals with the primary wide open, I would return to a melted mess of slag. Once she takes off, she's gone to the races, and you'd better shut the primary by 50% immediately.

Pagey said:
If I left my stove alone for 20 minutes with a fresh load on hot coals with the primary wide open, I would return to a melted mess of slag. Once she takes off, she's gone to the races, and you'd better shut the primary by 50% immediately.

I did notice that the coals were hotter this morning than they usually are. I did load the stove for the last time a little later than normal last night so I guess that would explain the hotter coals this morning. Usually the coals are still hot but I have to stir them up a little the get them going enough for the wood to catch. Looks like I didn't adjust me technique to the condition of the stove and leavig the air open too long caused the temps to climb as high as they did. Good lesson that I'll remember.

When I reload in the morning, the furthest I go is to the coffee maker and back. Once the load is fully engaged (say, 10 minutes after loading) I close the bypass damper and adjust the primary down about 30-50%. Then I let it cook another 5-10 minutes and close the primary even further. It takes probably 25 minutes from reload to have the stove in "cruising" mode for me. THEN I take a shower, eat breakfast, etc. None of that stuff gets done until I am comfortable that the stove has settled into it's comfort zone, so to speak.

ME TOO! My wood is less than perfect so i am in the 20 minutes to an hour depending on the wood and coal bed....been known to wait 1.5 hours some nights before heading to bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.