1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. doug60

doug60 Member

Loc:
    north jersey
    The stove Progress Hybrid
    Loaded up after a over nite burn last Sunday. Shut it down & went out shopping.Came back home about 2 hours later to a 750 degree stove & the full load of wood gone.

The cause Murphy s Law
    In-laws visiting from Florida. My Mother in-law was vacuuming the family room & drove the vacuum under the ash clean out door, disengaging the latch . The door fell open & turned my new Progress into a blast furnace. Needless to say I was beside myself but glad nobody got hurt.

The damage .
    The stainless steel fire back was orange , causing it to warp out of shape. The excessive heat damaged the cat also.

The company Woodstock
    Not expecting any hand outs from them. Accessed the damage from pictures sent by email. Warrantied the cat & is sending me an assembled section of damaged internals at cost.

In my opinion this Stove & Woodstock the company are both at the top of there game.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    One of the reasons I dont like anyone but me anywhere near my stove, good deal by Woodstck, Im more and more impressed with them everyday.
  3. PLAYS WITH FIRE

PLAYS WITH FIRE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Crappy that happened! Nobody got hurt and Woodstock still took care of you knowing it was an overfire, priceless!
    jdp1152, rideau and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    Yeah...that's no good that she messed up the burn. Glad to know no one was hurt other than the stove.
  5. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Sucks big time, I would have been furious! :mad: But it could have been way worst, so I'm glad to hear it wasn't.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Wow, that was a close one. I'm really glad to hear that the only casualty was the stove and that the injuries are repairable. Add this to another reason I don't like ashpans. You might want to figure a way to wire the handle closed so that the wire has to be removed to access the pan.
  7. charly

charly Guest

Glad everything worked out,,,,yuppers,,, can't find any better people then the folks at Woodstock! Right there when you need them! New Cat for free,,,,says it all!!!
    rideau and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Doug, that is scary for sure. Have you checked the chimney?
  9. doug60

doug60 Member

Loc:
    north jersey
    No I haven't checked it yet . To much ice & snow on the roof. But its a new liner this year so only a cord or less burned through it so far .
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I think with the overfire, especially how it was done, I'd want to check that liner just to be sure it is okay.
    evilgriff likes this.
  11. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Well...you got your family room vacuumed...:rolleyes:
  12. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Glad your house is still intact,and Woodstock is helping out some.Sounds like a solid company,Good luck.
  13. doug60

doug60 Member

Loc:
    north jersey
    I will check it as soon as the roof is clear.
  14. evilgriff

evilgriff Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern New Jersey
    Sorry to hear about the stove. Hope you get it up and running soon, but take the advise above and get that chimney checked also. Great response from the stove company, it's nice to hear about good customer service. I would consider (actually did) that brand of stove for myself, it just did not fit in my application.
    Joful likes this.
  15. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    Yikes, glad all is OK!
  16. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Terribly sorry to hear that, but glad that everyone is OK. Amazed the stove suffered as little damage as it did. Not at all surprised by WS response. They and their stoves are top notch.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    So . . . is the mother in law still welcomed at the Doug60 household? ;)
    melissa71 likes this.
  18. doug60

doug60 Member

Loc:
    north jersey
    Boy that's a loaded question.
  19. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    LOL. Warning, this site is monitored by MILA. (mother-in-laws-anonymous) ;lol
    Freeheat and keninmich like this.
  20. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    So where's the pics? We want to see the destruction! Good for WS to get you going again.
  21. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Doug,

Very sorry to hear about the overfire, but can easily see the type of incident happening. Thank goodness the stoves have such redundant safety factors built in, including clearance requirements. The only important thing when all is said and done is that no one was hurt. Things can be fixed and replaced.

I'm calling my sister tonight and telling her to stay away from my stove with the broom and vacuum...even though I don't have an ash pan. I could easily see her banging the air control when she gets expecially resourceful. So thanks for sharing with us., You may have saved a few of us with the heads up.

I thoroughly agree with the recommendation that you check your chimney for damage before burning. It should be fine...I know my ICC is rated for safe after several chimney fires each lasting 30 minutes...but please check. Wouldn't want a sad and unnecessary ending to a regretable accident. You can take the stovepipe apart from below, easily, if it is adjustable, and use a mirror to look up the chimney, if you cannot get on the roof easily.

So glad Woodstock, as usual, has been there for you.

And I agree, post the pictures of the damage. Be good to see what can happen when the PH overfires.

Have to say, when I first read your post and saw 750 degrees, I thought, "No way! A PH? Overfiring? Can't happen if you close the air down properly." Just goes to show anything can happen. You couldn't have avoided or predicted this.

You mentioned this happened Sunday, still 2012. So I can wish you a healthy, safe, and (stovewise) smooth 2013.

Rideau
  22. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Doug,

I was responding to another thread about the cooktop, and it occurred to me you had not mentioned yours.

Do you have the new shielded cooktop, or the original unshielded?

If the original, unshielded, did it survive the overfire, or did it crack? If the older one, check it carefully. When they crack, they make a sound like a rifle shot, split about 1/4 inch apart, but seem to come back together during the same burn. But if you look closely, you can see the scar from the crack.

Thanks.

Rideau
  23. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Your MIL vacuumed? Wanna trade? I can assure you mine will not hurt your stove in an way while cleaning.
    Joful likes this.
  24. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Yikes! Glad all is safe.

I have to ask, what the heck was she vacuuming with? I don't have an ash pan but have used my dads and that drawer has a pretty positive latch system as I recall trying to figure out how it open it on purpose. Murphey for sure.
  25. doug60

doug60 Member

Loc:
    north jersey
    The cook top is shielded and it did warp some . Ill look closer & take picks when I do the repair.